VOGONS

First post, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all.

I was tinkering with this pc last night. (Swapping around some GPUs)
After I had finished I put the system back together and turned it on.
The system posted as normal but all the white text was purple. Not like when a VGA cable is loose, actual purple with a few words still in white.
After the post finished the PC speaker made some awful sounds and I shut the machine off.
Now it refuses to post. Not even any error beeps.
I have tried:
Different known working ram.
Different known working CPU (both 100 and 133mhz and slot1/slocket)
Different GPUs - AGP, PCI and even ISA.
All non essential parts have been unplugged (sound cards drives etc.)

I have studied the board in detail and cannot see any burned or damaged components.

If a modern machine still displayed this behaviour after these checks I would likely condemn it but I dont want to write off this board that easily!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 2 of 9, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oops. I should have mentioned I did a clear cmos.

I have read through the documentation and cannot find any way to manually use the backup bios. It should start automatically in case of the main bios failing.

Twitter

Reply 3 of 9, by psybyrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How do the Capacitors look? Gigabyte used some pretty terrible ones in this era. However sometimes you get lucky and have one with Sanyos. Also check your power supply. I would remove everything including the cmos battery and leave it sit (for a few hours). Seen many come back to life after doing this. Hope this helps

Reply 4 of 9, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
psybyrd wrote on 2020-03-13, 13:48:

How do the Capacitors look? Gigabyte used some pretty terrible ones in this era. However sometimes you get lucky and have one with Sanyos. Also check your power supply. I would remove everything including the cmos battery and leave it sit (for a few hours). Seen many come back to life after doing this. Hope this helps

The caps look pretty good to be honest! Although I am aware they can go bad without any visual signs.
I can try another PSU. Might try that tonight in fact. This machine has sat for some time without power lately as I have been testing other machines in its space.
Really would like to get it going again but if not ill be back to AMD for my "fast" w98 system.

Twitter

Reply 5 of 9, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So after trying a different PSU I stripped the motherboard and and fit my athlon system back in.
Before I put the P3 away for a while I decided to fire it up on a test bench and of course it booted right up..!

It did provide this error "main bios wide range protection error"

Has anyone encountered this before?

Twitter

Reply 7 of 9, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
quicknick wrote on 2020-03-13, 21:02:

Yes. 😀

Thankyou for finding that! some helpful reading. I think that my main bios chip is on its way out. I have had random faults with this board for some time!

It also only booted the one time while I made the last post and now fails to power on at all... One for another day now.

Twitter

Reply 9 of 9, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SETBLASTER wrote on 2020-03-13, 22:47:
@LewisRaz did you buy the motherboard fully with box, manual and cd-rom drivers? do you happen to have the original CD for it? […]
Show full quote

@LewisRaz did you buy the motherboard fully with box, manual and cd-rom drivers?
do you happen to have the original CD for it?

if you do, can you share an iso image?

-
thanks

Sorry I got the board from ebay as cpu/board and backplate

Twitter