VOGONS

First post, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm looking to slow down either a 100mhz DX4 or a 200mhz MMX - whichever is the best candidate. I want to play games which my newly-finished Win98/late-DOS build can't play because it's too fast.

I picked up two systems lately:

486DX4 100MHz:
yiF5fVtl.jpg

MMX 200MHz:
IDsoFJFl.jpg

BUT I've never messed with cache disabling or programs like Mo'Slo or SetMul before and am having a hard time figuring out what the best way to do this is. The Mo'Slo website even says "the compatibility list is currently offline"; SetMul seems to not be for Intel CPU's... so I'm open to any advice. I'm also totally open to buying a new processor, as long as it's compatible with my MB(s). I'll put some more details below.

I also have a question about the turbo button. The 200mhz has a turbo button - doesn't seem to be hooked-up (or at least when I press it nothing seems to happen and the light stays on). Is the turbo feature dependent on either (or both) the processor itself AND/OR the motherboard? Does it need to be turned on or off in the BIOS or something? I don't even know how the LCD display even gets the information that it's 100mhz then displays that on the screen...is it set by jumpers? Or does the MB communicate with the LCD's board I guess? If the 100mhz is the best candidate to slow down, and it can benefit from a turbo button, I can switch the cases from the 200mhz to the 100mhz (would need somebody to confirm the cases would allow this...or I guess if I physically measure the MB's and they're the same size then it's a no-brainer switch?)

The 100mhz seems to be the best candidate as it's the slowest, right? Here's the IMGUR album for that one - I even found the manual for the "80486 VIP", M919 V3.4B/F motherboard which has the (real) cache modul installed; those pics are at the very end of the album.

The user Kisx here was nice enough to link to the jumper settings and such here and here. He also said "To really slow down the CPU, you have to disable L1 and L2 cache in the BIOS settings. If this isn't slow enough, you can lower the FSB speed of the motherboard - look at the jumpers settings - now you have 33MHz FSB. You could go down to 25MHz and with 2X multi you'd have a slow 486DX2-50. With L1 and L2 caches disabled it would be really slow.". Maxtherabbit said I could easily buy a DX-33 or DX2-66 CPU, and that the MB has the jumpers to run the voltage at either 3.3V (current 100mhz DX4 I believe), or 5V (for those slower DX/DX2 ones).

So what's the best way to go about doing this? I like the current 100mhz - it even allows me to play Quake at a slow but not unplayable framerate (maybe... only played the first level...might slow down later on and it's def. not doing 60 FPS or anything). Quake is the very last DOS game I would want to play, along with Duke Nukem 3D. Both of those have the recommended system requirements at an Intel Pentium 75 MHz with 16mb of RAM (I have 32mb)... but if I have to, in order to slow this down enough for (here's some of the games I currently have issues with): Barbarian from 1987, Battle Chess 1988, Silent Service II '90, Wing Commander '90, Scorched Earth '92, Jazz the Jackrabbit '94, King Quest VII /94, even Crusader no Remorse from 1995 - I can get a slower processor and just not be able to play some of those later games like Quake/Duke3d.

My bigger issue is making this easy to use when my godsons can come over and play it. Which means hopefully we don't have to go into the BIOS every time and tweak certain settings to get certain games to work, and have to keep a list handy to cross-reference every time - that's not going to work for them. Hopefully there's a command line way to do this and I can write little batch files for games which need a cache disabled, then upon exit it can re-enable the cache(s). If there's no way around it here's the pages I found on the BIOS which might be of use (just have no clue which to use, or which settings for each):

https://imgur.com/ciomCpc
https://imgur.com/agoa7Q7
https://imgur.com/HtFXH9q
https://imgur.com/GLI8jPK

If the 200 MMX is a better candidate (I don't think it is from what I've found out so far), please let me know and I can post some more information about that. It uses a Topgun/Alton M575 Socket 7 motherboard.

Sidenote, but I have the option of two (think both PCI) video cards to use in the (presumably 100mhz) computer. Trident 3dImage 9750, or Trident Pro Vidia 9685 - I'm unsure of how much RAM each has (would love to know! Pics are in that IMGUR above). ...but I know on one I'm even having problems doing 1024x768 at even 24-bit color in Win98 without the screen getting funky, so I'm open to getting something faster.

BUT, aren't most games of this era not dependent on the video card much at all? Like it's mostly hardware rendering (even Quake which is real 3D)? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I was researching and seems like people like the S3 Savage Pro 4 with 32mb RAM? Or even a TNT2 PCI version (which is a shame as I have 3x! AGP versions of this card I have no use for but no PCI version!). This confuses me because I'm looking to build a computer around 1995ish? but those cards are from quite a few years later. Were people in 1995 not able to play these games at acceptable frame rates and resolutions? (which to me is ~60FPS at at least ~640x480...but I could be WAY off for this era...).

Reply 1 of 12, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To be honest, you'll need to mostly test software yourself. Depending on the BIOS, a lot of the cache-disabling tools may not even work. On one HP Vectra, almost no tools worked, on my new HP Vectra (slightly newer model), Setmul works great.

I'd steer clear of software that uses tricks to slow down games like Mo'slo. I never liked it - while it does slow down a game, it comes at a serious price: your frame rate tanks and there's massive input lag. Games that rely on speed and reflexes are NOT going to like Mo'Slo. For certain adventure games and strategy games that require no fast reactions ... sure, it works. But even then I find that it's not very smooth and responsive.

Just stick to programs that disable cache. It works really well and will turn even a Pentium into a 286-386.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 3 of 12, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry I didn't get to this last weekend. I just tried Setmul on the 200MHz MMX and with the External Cache turned off through BIOS, the lowest 3dBench2 score I could get was 17. Still too fast for Wing Commander. Phil says around 9.8 is ideal for that game, but I just can't get it that low and it still plays really fast.

Besides getting a slower MMX or whatever processor I'm back to the drawing board. I also don't like how I have to go into the BIOS to manually turn the cache off – that's not something the kids can do (or that I trust them to do 😉 and that also leaves out things like changing the FSB jumpers on the MB.

I'm going to try the 100mhz next. If I can use that FastVid program to get decent frame rates in Quake (fastvid doesn't seem to work on the 200MMX...), AND it'll let me slow it down enough for these earlier games with Setmul (moreso than what the 200MMX can do), that would be PERFECT.

Some notes about my BIOS Caches if I'm doing something wrong: There seems to only be two options for cache in the BIOS: Internal and External. When I turn Int off, Ext gets grayed out. Int and Ext on 3dBench2 is 115.6. Int on, Ext off = 114.2. With both caches on, Setmul set to "Slowest" I get 32. With Int off (which turns off Ext too I think as it gets grayed out automatically), Slowest = 17

Still looking for answers about the case swap and turbo questions as well. The 200MHZ system w/ M575 Socket 7 MB doesn't seem to have a turbo jumper/wire anywhere on it, so I don't know why it's in the case with the Turbo button. The DX4 100MHz is in the case with NO turbo, but the M919 motherboard DOES have a place to put a turbo button onto... but I just can't find out how Turbo works overall. Like do ALL motherboards of this era and ALL processors of this era work with Turbo on and off? Or even if my MB has the connector for it, but the CPU itself isn't compatible with this feature, it still wouldn't work then? It's a TON of work to swap two MB's into each others case (which I've never done before...) which is why I'm trying to find this out BEFORE I go this route...

...It also doesn't help that I don't even know what exactly the turbo button on or off does. Like does it cut the voltage to slow down or speed up? Is the CPU speed cut in half, or by a third, or a certain multiplier or what? Or does it disable certain cache(s) when it's turned on or off? Any help in learning this is appreciated (searching for "turbo button" doesn't tell me this info, or I've failed at finding something I understand).

Reply 4 of 12, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice computers.

Using the "Turbo" button and "Setmul" ( Set multiplier ) utility I can slow down my 486dx4-100 computer to a 286@10mhz. and it runs fine.

My build:
486 Multimedia dream build ( 1993/94 )

I would leave the Pentium 200mhz build alone.

Mosts stuff will run on the 486dx4-100 or at 286@10mhz.

See this posts:
Re: 486 Multimedia dream build ( 1993/94 )

Reply 5 of 12, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-03-21, 19:08:
Using the "Turbo" button and "Setmul" ( Set multiplier ) utility I can slow down my 486dx4-100 computer to a 286@10mhz. and it […]
Show full quote

Using the "Turbo" button and "Setmul" ( Set multiplier ) utility I can slow down my 486dx4-100 computer to a 286@10mhz. and it runs fine.

My build:
486 Multimedia dream build ( 1993/94 )

I would leave the Pentium 200mhz build alone.

Mosts stuff will run on the 486dx4-100 or at 286@10mhz.

Thanks. I will give the 100MHz a whirl!

Can you tell me what exactly the Turbo button does? I can't even find such basic information about this, and I think this is my 4th post asking for any kind soul to chime in 🤣. I've googled a ton and it's always generic info like turbo button/mode "increase or decrease performance", or is a "normal or an enhanced turbo speed" (while others say turbo actually slows down...), or it "increased the clock frequency on the processor" ...but NOTHING about what's needed compatibility wise to make this work...

...like can ALL processors use this (remembering that there was quite a few DX4 100MHz models made)? Can ALL motherboards of this era use turbo (which my 200mhz seems to not have this...). Just SUPER basic things like that I would need to know before I get into switching cases to have a turbo button for the 100MHz (which would be a BIG job for me).... and then it brings me back to the same question again about how I don't know if the 100mhz's CPU and MB and Case would all be compatible with a Turbo feature to begin with... because I don't know if the Turbo button works on a multiplier basis or what... and aren't some chips NOT multiplier unlocked and wouldn't work with this feature if that is the case? Going in circles here and grasping at straws... but just trying to figure out the basics before I get into a larger project!

I'm going to put the SB card back into the 100MHz and run those 3DBench2 tests and see what happens with the numbers... but would LOVE to do this proper and switch cases and use turbo if it'll help me play some of these very early games at their correct speed.... then that brings me to possible BIOS settings I might have to use (assuming in conjunction with SetMul? - I needed to change BIOS settings on the 200MHz so SetMul wasn't able to switch all these on/off on the fly I don't think, HAD to go into the BIOS which was a bummer form a usability standpoint) – the 100MHZ's BIOS has several features I don't know what they do:

This one is simple, and probably works the same way as the AMIBIOS the 200MHz has - where I can turn off External cache on/off, but if I turn off Internal cache the external automatically gets grayed out in the BIOS
ciomCpcl.jpg

I don't think the 200MHz had this 'L2 Cache mode' option? (I think this is one which SetMul was turning off)
HtFXH9ql.jpg

Cache speed options 2-2-2?
agoa7Q7l.jpg

I'll have to go back in and make sure there wasn't any I'm missing. I didn't see the L1 cache there, but I think the External/Internal cache option is the L1.

Reply 6 of 12, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dochartaigh wrote on 2020-03-22, 18:50:
Thanks. I will give the 100MHz a whirl! […]
Show full quote

Thanks. I will give the 100MHz a whirl!

Can you tell me what exactly the Turbo button does? I can't even find such basic information about this, and I think this is my 4th post asking for any kind soul to chime in 🤣. I've googled a ton and it's always generic info like turbo button/mode "increase or decrease performance", or is a "normal or an enhanced turbo speed" (while others say turbo actually slows down...), or it "increased the clock frequency on the processor" ...but NOTHING about what's needed compatibility wise to make this work...

...like can ALL processors use this (remembering that there was quite a few DX4 100MHz models made)? Can ALL motherboards of this era use turbo (which my 200mhz seems to not have this...). Just SUPER basic things like that I would need to know before I get into switching cases to have a turbo button for the 100MHz (which would be a BIG job for me).... and then it brings me back to the same question again about how I don't know if the 100mhz's CPU and MB and Case would all be compatible with a Turbo feature to begin with... because I don't know if the Turbo button works on a multiplier basis or what... and aren't some chips NOT multiplier unlocked and wouldn't work with this feature if that is the case? Going in circles here and grasping at straws... but just trying to figure out the basics before I get into a larger project!

I'm going to put the SB card back into the 100MHz and run those 3DBench2 tests and see what happens with the numbers... but would LOVE to do this proper and switch cases and use turbo if it'll help me play some of these very early games at their correct speed.... then that brings me to possible BIOS settings I might have to use (assuming in conjunction with SetMul? - I needed to change BIOS settings on the 200MHz so SetMul wasn't able to switch all these on/off on the fly I don't think, HAD to go into the BIOS which was a bummer form a usability standpoint) – the 100MHZ's BIOS has several features I don't know what they do:

This one is simple, and probably works the same way as the AMIBIOS the 200MHz has - where I can turn off External cache on/off, but if I turn off Internal cache the external automatically gets grayed out in the BIOS
ciomCpcl.jpg

I don't think the 200MHz had this 'L2 Cache mode' option? (I think this is one which SetMul was turning off)
HtFXH9ql.jpg

Cache speed options 2-2-2?
agoa7Q7l.jpg

I'll have to go back in and make sure there wasn't any I'm missing. I didn't see the L1 cache there, but I think the External/Internal cache option is the L1.

Hello,

You wrote very much, I am afraid, I skipped large parts of it. 😁
So I am referring to the 486 machine only.
About Turbo: On 386 machines, it really switched the external clock on the mainboard, for example from 33MHz to 25MHz.
With 486 that's technically not possible.
So the NO-turbo setting on 486er can't touch the external clock (33MHz for a DX4/100), so it slows down using other mechanisms.
As far as I know it is similar to disable L1 cache. Disabling L1 cache somehow extremely cripples the performance of a 486 machine. So without L1 cache you are in terms of performance BELOW a 386.

But you can test it by yourself:
1) Configure optimal settings and disable Turbo (via jumper on the mainboard) and run a benchmark.
2) Use same BIOS configuration, but disable L1 cache (= internal cache, L2 cache does not matter with L1 disabled) and run a benchmark.
I guess it is in the same range.

Reply 7 of 12, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-03-22, 19:21:
But you can test it by yourself: 1) Configure optimal settings and disable Turbo (via jumper on the mainboard) and run a benchm […]
Show full quote

1) Configure optimal settings and disable Turbo (via jumper on the mainboard) and run a benchmark.
2) Use same BIOS configuration, but disable L1 cache (= internal cache, L2 cache does not matter with L1 disabled) and run a benchmark.

To turn turbo on (which I assume slows down the computer), is it as simple as using a jumper on it so those two pins are bridged? So I can do that without having a physical turbo button in the case? (which the 100MHz doesn't have a button on the case for Turbo). If so I'll give that a try and see what happens - thanks.

Reply 8 of 12, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dochartaigh wrote on 2020-03-22, 19:26:
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-03-22, 19:21:
But you can test it by yourself: 1) Configure optimal settings and disable Turbo (via jumper on the mainboard) and run a benchm […]
Show full quote

To turn turbo on (which I assume slows down the computer), is it as simple as using a jumper on it so those two pins are bridged? So I can do that without having a physical turbo button in the case? (which the 100MHz doesn't have a button on the case for Turbo). If so I'll give that a try and see what happens - thanks.

Yes, if you have a turbo switch on the case, then use it of course!
EDIT: Sorry misread, you don't have a turbo switch on the case.
Turbo on is closed (on all mainboards that I know).
Turbo on means FAST of course.
Turbo off is for slowing down.

Last edited by CoffeeOne on 2020-03-22, 19:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's a complete breakdown of slowdown options for my 486 DX2/66 and Pentium 200MMX. This should give you an idea of what your systems might be capable of. Although, each 486 motherboard's Turbo performance is a bit different, so your mileage may vary.

time machine.PNG
Filename
time machine.PNG
File size
113.87 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 10 of 12, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-03-22, 19:31:

Turbo on means FAST of course.
Turbo off is for slowing down.

I've been reading people argue this point on quite a few posts. Seems like for some people that depends on the case and/or MB combo as Turbo on (contrary to what that logically means) seems to slow down some peoples computers...which likewise makes no sense to me 🤣. I've been curious what mine will be (if I choose to swap cases that is...).

clueless1 wrote on 2020-03-22, 19:32:

Here's a complete breakdown of slowdown options for my 486 DX2/66 and Pentium 200MMX. This should give you an idea of what your systems might be capable of. Although, each 486 motherboard's Turbo performance is a bit different, so your mileage may vary.
time machine.PNG

Is there a legend for what all those acronyms stand for? DCD, VPD, L1D, etc.? Is that terminology from SetMul or like industry-standard acronyms I should learn?

I'm unable to get my 200 MMX down to any of your numbers below 17 – numbers where it says L1D, L1D+BPD, L1D+BPD+VPD. So it very well could be because of my MB doesn't have those Cache options or whatnot (seems to only have External and Internal and that's it).

Reply 11 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dochartaigh wrote on 2020-03-22, 20:33:

Is there a legend for what all those acronyms stand for? DCD, VPD, L1D, etc.? Is that terminology from SetMul or like industry-standard acronyms I should learn?

It's all in the setmul documentation. L1D is L1 cache disable (could be done either through the BIOS or with setmul). The "test register" TR12 options are available on MMX cpus only. If you haven't tried them on your MMX, give 'em a shot. Quoted the relevant parts below:

PARAMETERS /? - default help screen. [Multiplier] - as a single digit like '5', or '5.0', or halves like '5.5'. L1D - L1 Cache D […]
Show full quote

PARAMETERS
/? - default help screen.
[Multiplier] - as a single digit like '5', or '5.0', or halves like '5.5'.
L1D - L1 Cache Disable.
L1E - L1 Cache Enable.
L1DX - L1 Cache Disable, exclusively, leaves L2 untouched, for K6-2+/III+.
L1EX - L1 Cache Enable, exclusively, leaves L2 untouched, for K6-2+/III+.
L2D - L2 Cache Disable, but cannot toggle any motherboard L2/L3 cache.
L2E - L2 Cache Enable, but cannot toggle any motherboard L2/L3 cache.
ICD - L1 I-Cache Disable, on VIA C3 or Winchip.
ICE - L1 I-Cache Enable, on VIA C3 or Winchip.
BPD - Branch Prediction Disable, on VIA C3.
BPE - Branch Prediction Enable, on VIA C3.
INFO - Show PowerNow! info of AMD K7 or K8.
CMD - Disable clock speed measurement.

Pentium P54C and MMX test register "TR12" options. Parameters:
BPD - Disable Branch Prediction.
VPD - Disable V Pipeline.
L1DX - Disable L1 cache exclusively.
CCD - Disable L1 code cache.
DCD - Disable L1 data cache.
PFE - Pentium Features Enable; Resets the above TR12 options to default.
The status of register TR12 cannnot be read by design.

Dochartaigh wrote on 2020-03-22, 20:33:

I'm unable to get my 200 MMX down to any of your numbers below 17 – numbers where it says L1D, L1D+BPD, L1D+BPD+VPD. So it very well could be because of my MB doesn't have those Cache options or whatnot (seems to only have External and Internal and that's it).

My MMX system does not have L2 cache on the motherboard, so my results are naturally a little slower, but yours may be able to be disabled through the BIOS or with setmul, which should get your speeds down a bit more. Just try those setmul TR12 parameters (regardless of whether your motherboard has L2 or not) and see what happens.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 12 of 12, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote on 2020-03-22, 20:47:

My MMX system does not have L2 cache on the motherboard, so my results are naturally a little slower, but yours may be able to be disabled through the BIOS or with setmul, which should get your speeds down a bit more. Just try those setmul TR12 parameters (regardless of whether your motherboard has L2 or not) and see what happens.

Hey thanks a bunch! I've been using Phil's Computer Lab's presets (like "slow" "slowest", etc.) for SetMul, and those may very well NOT have the MMX specific parameters like TR12 in it - I'll give it a try before I give up on the 200 MHz (as I would MUCH rather have the 200 for games like Quake...and if it can be made just a bit slower it might work for all those other old DOS games too).