VOGONS

First post, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today it entered in my possession what was supposed to be an Abit KD7A. Upon cleaning the board I removed all the labels and the north bridge fan and to my surprise imprinted on the PCB was KV7 but on the north bridge KT400A and on the south bridge VIA8235. I am clueless - is this a Iate production KD7A that was manufactured using PCB destined for the KV7? Is it a counterfeit product? I am aware that the VIA KT400A chip set launched in March 2003 had a very short lifespan before being replaced with the KT600 in May 2003. I took the following photos:

Attachments

Reply 1 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could be the seller thought it was one board but actually was another. Does it work ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 5, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I does work flawlessly! I t passed memtest with all memory slots occupied - and it is recognized as KT400A/kt600 by the software. It has NO SATA ports and 1 USB header as VIA KT400A has. I will test install Windows XP to see what CPUZ says.

Reply 4 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SATA interface was integrated into VT8237 south bridge (also added additional USB). Your board has VT8235, which is typical combination for KT400. Not a huge loss, because VIA had problems with SATAII HDD, which were fixed only with VT8237A.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2020-03-20, 03:05. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.