VOGONS

First post, by SilverHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While I have not flashed a BIOS in a long time, I don't remember it being this challenging. To this point I have not been successful trying to update from the current BIOS version 2AA5. I am booting from system disk after disabling
CPU Internal Cache, External Cache and CPU L2 Cache ECC Checking. Also disabled all of the Shadow options and the Virus Protection. With AWDFLASH V7.05, I can get to point where it appears to be Programing Flash Memory, but the status never changes. With version 7.53 the status with change and receives write errors. Despite the warnings I power down the system it will reboot with the previous BIOS intact. BIOS chip is recognized as MXIC 29F002T /5V. The current full BIOS version listed during POST is 11/04/1999-693-596B-977-2A6LGS2CC-00. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 9, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check if you don't have a jumper that prevents BIOS flashing (on some boards this was a thing).

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 2 of 9, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

See if the files from this package make any difference

vba-2bab.bin / checksum: 69C0 / release date: (10/05/2000)
AWDFLASH v7.90.1
AWDFLASH v8.15B

Filename
Soyo SY-6VBA133.zip
File size
993.25 KiB
Downloads
139 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 9, by SilverHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-03-14, 22:35:
See if the files from this package make any difference […]
Show full quote

See if the files from this package make any difference

vba-2bab.bin / checksum: 69C0 / release date: (10/05/2000)
AWDFLASH v7.90.1
AWDFLASH v8.15B

Soyo SY-6VBA133.zip

Thank you, I will give it a shot.

Reply 4 of 9, by SilverHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No joy. AWDFLASH v7.90.1 will get to programing, but write fail errors. AWDFLASH v8.15B appears to hang after providing .bin file. I can't seem to find any jumper or BIOS setting that would be preventing writes. Not essential for me to get flashed, but would be nice for BIOS to recognize larger than 32GB drives. Thanks again for the help. I will keep plugging away and will report back.

Reply 5 of 9, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems like a known problem (from 2002)

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.c … oyo/WIet3Gptt4U

Do you know what board revision you have

https://web.archive.org/web/20020522160653/ht … .com/m.mullen1/

Maybe try the suggestion in the first link of a gradual update from 2aa5 to 2bab, using the intermediate releases which are all readily available

Reply 6 of 9, by SilverHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reference points. I have tried gradual updates starting with earlier releases of the bios and with earlier releases for awdflash, but results to this point have all been the same. I have not gotten to removing the board to determine the exact version, but it is currently running with a 733EB with options in bios up to 933EB. The end goal I had in mind was getting a 1.4 Tualatin up and running on this board. I had picked one with the on chip socket adapter and also had a slocket in my stash of stuff. I will create another thread for that adventure. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Reply 7 of 9, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for the bump, I recently acquired a sy-6vba133, I have been able to update the bios without issues with uniflash, I had the version vba-2va3 (date 01-04-2000) and updated to vba-2bab, but I noticed that the bios is plagued with the infamous PhoenixNet splash screen - possibly carrying advertisment - and of course the (hopefully!) dormant 'spyware' in the BIOS.
Is there a way to get rid of it? If there isn't anyone know what is the latest version not plagued with it?

Thanks

Reply 8 of 9, by SilverHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like there is a chance I will get this thing updated, but perhaps I shouldn't. In all the searching for a solution to the flash problem, I never saw this PhoenixNet splash screen issue come up. I will have to check this out before I attempt flashing again.

Reply 9 of 9, by SilverHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Forgive the necro, but I wanted to bring this to a close. I did purchase a programmer and after some unsuccessful attempts, I gave up and purchased an already patched chip. I was skeptical that it would work, but it came with 2bab version of bios. It did in fact include the infamous PhoenixNet splash screen, but everything appears to be working. I have since abandoned plans for a 1.4 Tualatin and machine will run with a 1Ghz slot 1 Coppermine. Time will have to tell if dormant spyware remains. In the meantime, I have worked on a number of other flights of fancy. I will look to get those posted sometime.

Thanks