VOGONS

First post, by trigolet_rodolphe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I need help with an old floppy drive...

I picked up an old Teac FD-55GFR some months ago. It's a beautiful drive, it works well, and I'd love to use it more, but it has a bit of an age-related flaw related to a metal piece that goes on top of the drive head.

It appears that, once upon a time, it was glued to the plastic drive head housing with some white adhesive. On this drive, that adhesive appears to have long since dried up. Lowering the drive head and reading disks works perfectly fine. The moment you raise the drive head using the lever, that metal bit goes FLYING... unless you're being super slow and gentle when working that lever. As one can imagine, having a bit of metal flying around inside of an operating PC is not exactly conducive to ensuring the system's long-term longevity!

SO, my question: What kind of adhesive might one be able to use to glue that metal bit back into place? I've attached a photo of my drive showing with the piece I'm talking about circled in red.

I appreciate any and all input. Thank you!

Attachments

Chieko: AMD K6-2 366MHz / Matrox Millennium II / Voodoo2 / SB16 MCD
Takako: Pentium III 700MHz / Voodoo3 3000/ Yamaha YMF-724
Yuko: Pentium 4 2.4GHz / ATI Radeon 9600XT / SiS 7012 AC'97

Reply 1 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a few Teac FD-55GFR 1.2mb floppy drives and have never seen the the top read head cover come off. Is it possible someone had pried it up, maybe a RMA thing or thinking it would help clean/fix it ? I would try some plastic epoxy on the 4 corners (with the metal plate in place) using a toothpick to apply very small amounts at those corners and let it sit in warm area for 24hours. Do not use superglue or superglue Gel ! If you get any under the metal cover you could ruin the upper read/write head.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 9, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would use little silicone glue and put it back on. Plus silicone glue is soft helps with damping the vibration as well.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-03-15, 02:20:

I would use little silicone glue and put it back on. Plus silicone glue is soft helps with damping the vibration as well.

Cheers,

Problem is: if it already has some dried glue under the surround of the cap, glue of any other type rarely adheres to another old glue. On my drives it appears that the metal lid is actually press fit into the plastic molded top of the head. Is why I wondered about if it had been previously removed and then glued. There is also a reason it is metal, possibly grounded and acts as a rf shield too when originally installed. I still think a dab of something very light weight but strong at the four corners would be best.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 9, by trigolet_rodolphe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sounds like epoxy is pretty well the consensus - I'll pick some up tomorrow, if I can with everything going on, and try it out! I sincerely appreciate everyone's input, and if successful, I appreciate it all the more. Thank you all!

And whatever adhesive was there is white and only on the areas of the metal bit where it meets a big chunk of that drive head housing; there's plenty of the same residue on the drive head housing itself. It reminds me a lot of old, dry thermal paste from the colour and general appearance. I wish I knew whether or not the previous owner pried that metal piece off or not.

Reply 6 of 9, by trigolet_rodolphe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-03-15, 02:18:

I have a few Teac FD-55GFR 1.2mb floppy drives and have never seen the the top read head cover come off. Is it possible someone had pried it up, maybe a RMA thing or thinking it would help clean/fix it ? I would try some plastic epoxy on the 4 corners (with the metal plate in place) using a toothpick to apply very small amounts at those corners and let it sit in warm area for 24hours. Do not use superglue or superglue Gel ! If you get any under the metal cover you could ruin the upper read/write head.

Mister, I have some good news - I followed your advice, at long last, and fixed it as described. And... it WORKS! I've had this drive for a few years now, and it's never worked until now. I even named the first disk I formatted with this drive, "HOLYCRAP". Thank you thank you!

I've attached a photo of my epoxy job. Not the neatest repair I've ever done, but far from the ugliest, and above all, it worked!

Attachments

Reply 7 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
trigolet_rodolphe wrote on 2020-04-14, 22:33:

Mister, I have some good news - I followed your advice, at long last, and fixed it as described. And... it WORKS! I've had this drive for a few years now, and it's never worked until now. I even named the first disk I formatted with this drive, "HOLYCRAP". Thank you thank you!

I've attached a photo of my epoxy job. Not the neatest repair I've ever done, but far from the ugliest, and above all, it worked!

Great that you fix it ! Looks Good ! Yeah you did it the way I was thinking, and using a clear epoxy does not look bad at all. Glad it worked.

Reply 8 of 9, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just fixed a 5.25 floppy drive with some JB weld.
It worked great for glueing broken plastic piece to metal.

I did not think it was going to work as the plastic part was badly damaged but it worked.
This glue is very strong. I previously tried Crazy glue but that did not hold.

I have used JB weld on lots of stuff and it has worked on everything I applied it to.
Plastic, metal, and aluminum.
It bonds to metals fine.

Reply 9 of 9, by trigolet_rodolphe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-04-15, 04:02:
I just fixed a 5.25 floppy drive with some JB weld. It worked great for glueing broken plastic piece to metal. […]
Show full quote

I just fixed a 5.25 floppy drive with some JB weld.
It worked great for glueing broken plastic piece to metal.

I did not think it was going to work as the plastic part was badly damaged but it worked.
This glue is very strong. I previously tried Crazy glue but that did not hold.

I have used JB weld on lots of stuff and it has worked on everything I applied it to.
Plastic, metal, and aluminum.
It bonds to metals fine.

I saw J-B Weld on Amazon and I think the only thing that turned me off to even trying it was that it's either black or tan and opaque. I wanted something as transparent as possible for the sake of aesthetic neatness, and if I wound up doing a sloppy repair, to camouflage it. I think I'll keep J-B Weld in mind if I wind up needing to repair anything less-delicate or a lot more broken.