VOGONS

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sometimes I forgot to turn off a computer using AT power supply. The computer spent the night displaying "it's now safe to turn off your computer" but you where sleeping. So the computer spent the night doing nothing, is that a problem ?

I can understand mechanical hdd tear down over time but they are most replaced with ssd stuff. Also fan get noisier, but are easy to replace. I think also electric current over bus connector (isa,pci,agp) slot can add to corrosion. Power spike discharge. But other than that...

My question is, how does letting a computer power on damage it over power off.

Reply 1 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would be more concerned about your health than about the computer. Having 20+ year old hardware running all night while you are sleeping isn't the best thing to do. Such stuff can catch fire easily due to overheating, bad isolation, blowing caps, etc. You don't want this to happen unattended.

If you can't remember switching things off, I recommend getting a timer switch for the mains plug and set it up to cut power at night automatically.

Reply 2 of 8, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElBrunzy wrote on 2020-03-15, 07:03:

Sometimes I forgot to turn off a computer using AT power supply. The computer spent the night displaying "it's now safe to turn off your computer" but you where sleeping. So the computer spent the night doing nothing, is that a problem ?

I can understand mechanical hdd tear down over time but they are most replaced with ssd stuff. Also fan get noisier, but are easy to replace. I think also electric current over bus connector (isa,pci,agp) slot can add to corrosion. Power spike discharge. But other than that...

From what I know, it's actually worse to power on/off your PC a lot - especially those back then. Each time you power up a system, the components have to heat up and lots of expanding & contracting causes all sorts of issues. Also, for hard drives, the power-on cycle tends to wear out the motor a little. Since 2005 I decided to no longer turn my PC off and my hard drives last MUCH longer now.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 3 of 8, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
red_avatar wrote on 2020-03-15, 10:03:
ElBrunzy wrote on 2020-03-15, 07:03:

From what I know, it's actually worse to power on/off your PC a lot - especially those back then. Each time you power up a system, the components have to heat up and lots of expanding & contracting causes all sorts of issues. Also, for hard drives, the power-on cycle tends to wear out the motor a little. Since 2005 I decided to no longer turn my PC off and my hard drives last MUCH longer now.

This was my understanding too and is quite logical. Although if it is enough to happen in the expected lifetime of our use I dont know.

Back then I would run all my PCs 24.7. Only turning off to upgrade them or if mum forgot to top up the electric...
Now that I pay the bills it does not stay on when not in use 😉

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 4 of 8, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I run 4 modern-ish PCs 24/7 (all between 4-13 years old) mostly for media sharing across the LAN.

But I wouldn't run any of my retro systems 24/7, because as suggested above, old hardware can be dodgy with potentially lethal consequences. That's not to say anything bad would definitlely happen, but I just wouldn't take chances.

A few months back I accidentally left an original Commodore 64 power brick connected for several days. Cue a sudden panic bout as I realised and quickly unplugged it, even though it was perfectly fine. 🤣

Reply 5 of 8, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The rule of thumb is anything mechanical, while in motion, will wear out. For a PC that mostly means HDDs and fans, but sometimes also floppy drives and even switches (so keyboards too) if used a lot.
Then there are tubes, and that includes CRTs - even if not displaying anything bright, the cathode, while heated, will loose emission over time. Obviously the screen phosphor itself can be burned out too.
Electrolytic capacitors are next, and their lifespan depends highly on temperature - not ambiet, internal. So either hight ambient temps or high current spikes will slowly dry it out. They also dry over time but way more slowly, modern ones will last many decades.

Everything else doesn't really wear out unless it's highly-stressed semiconductors. There's no rule for those, you can never know how close to safe margins they are, no point in worrying unless you have some reference datapoints (like, you know for a fact that certain chips, in certain systems, do die after X amount of time being powered).

So the next thing to worry about it transients and surge currents during power-on/off events. Those can be bad for early switching-mode PSUs, but also CRT monitors. That being said PSUs can be repaired or replaced and any CRTs still left are living on a borrowed time anyway. That is why it was recommended to not power-cycle PCs without reason, but lets not get too crazy - once/twice a day is what the equipment was designed to handle for years. Something is going to die, eventually, from use or disuse anyway.

And then there modern high-density Flash cells like in SSDs, that needs to be powered on at least once per few months, so that the controller can do proper housekeeping, find any weak cells and migrate the data before it's too unstable to be read out.

Reply 7 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Their is good arguments for both sides, leaving the PC on vs constant power cycles. Basically I think it comes down your screwed either way, no avoiding everything has a limited lifetime.
I don't think your significantly shortening your PC's by leaving it on over night every now and then, especially retro pc's that are no longer daily drivers and may go weeks or even months on end without been powered on.

Reply 8 of 8, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All your inputs leave a lot for the mind to think of. I realize it all dig down to what one value is to preserve. Thanks to all you guys, next time I leave a computer open for too long without a reason I wont freak out about it anymore.