VOGONS

First post, by Mandarancino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys i'm a new user and love the old games PC and arcade. Found and assembly an "old" hardware and install win98 but recently have idea to modify the PC. I replace the HD whit win98 whit a HD ide 40gb, create two primary partition,One fat16 size 2gb and the other primary fat32 for win98,downloaded dos 6.22,put on floppy but the First floppy don't boot! I tried another version to another site but the result Is the same, i tried to format One floppy and create ms-dos disk and Is boot and stop normal in a:\ the bios not Is uefi, the board Is old.
Any help is good....
Sorry for the english very poor....

Reply 1 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 5, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A couple of quick things to verify. First, is the floppy enabled as a startup drive option in bios? Second, just be sure that when you made the install disk that you didn't just copy the files to a floppy, but that you first formatted the first floppy using a DOS machine and made the floppy bootable when you formatted it. It might be a good idea to post your system specs here as well.

Lots and lots of other things, but till you get this posted in the right forum, maybe that will help get you started.

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 3 of 5, by Mandarancino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

then, meanwhile the BIOS is set to boot from floppy and in fact when boot is searched for but does not load anything and does not give any errors, it remains still.

I tried in several ways, I simply copied the files to the floppy and it doesn't work, I tried to format the floppy from Windows 98 creating an ms-dos disk and it doesn't work, I used maxidisk always enabling the create disk dos option and it doesn't work .

the doubt that comes to me is that when you create the ms-dos disk in addition to the command.com file it inserts other hidden files, but when I go there to copy the files of the disk1 it asks me if I want to overwrite some files, this can be the problem ? do you recommend restarting win98 in ms-dos mode and formatting the floppy via Shell?

Reply 5 of 5, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mandarancino wrote on 2020-03-16, 06:03:

then, meanwhile the BIOS is set to boot from floppy and in fact when boot is searched for but does not load anything and does not give any errors, it remains still.

I tried in several ways, I simply copied the files to the floppy and it doesn't work, I tried to format the floppy from Windows 98 creating an ms-dos disk and it doesn't work, I used maxidisk always enabling the create disk dos option and it doesn't work .

the doubt that comes to me is that when you create the ms-dos disk in addition to the command.com file it inserts other hidden files, but when I go there to copy the files of the disk1 it asks me if I want to overwrite some files, this can be the problem ? do you recommend restarting win98 in ms-dos mode and formatting the floppy via Shell?

The easiest way to get diskettes for installing DOS is creating them from the original image. If you search around, I'm sure you can find the diskette images and the software to write them correctly to the diskettes. This way, you make sure that your disks will be bootable, with the correct files and you will have the same experience of installing DOS 6.22 as it was 26 years ago.