VOGONS

First post, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this ASUS 386 motherboard that is like completely squeaky new. Does not even have dust on it.
But the donkey refuses to light-up.

Triple checked all jumpers. Tried different types and amount of SRAM and RAM.
Verified bunch of lines around the battery area - all checked-out.
Recapped it. Turned out all original caps were just fine.
Picture below is with some of the caps removed - WIP condition atm.

So before i inflict more damage, i wanted to check with others what a good next step should be.
Keep replacing elements ?
There is a chance some of the ICs gave up ...
What do you think ?

Attachments

retro bits and bytes

Reply 1 of 12, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have seen boards, way newer, though, which refused to boot if no CMOS battery was present. Might be worth a shot?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 3 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Definitely try with a battery installed - I do not have a postcard to report the code but I also have a couple of mobos that appear to be completely dead unless you connect a battery

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 12, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I should clarify:
There is always a battery when testing.
The picture above shows the board in a WIP condition.

I tried PostCard, but cannot remember what it shown back then. Probably nothing definitive, if i don't remember it. But will try again soon. Good point.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 5 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

have you tried another keyboard controller ic?
have you checked the bios eprom (or tried a new one?) , if it's dead it could mean someone in the past connected the psu the wrong way
one other thing is to check for trace damage, even a small one could make a board not work (but I have the feeling it's the first thing you checked...)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 12, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, two really good ideas.
- i don't think i checked different BIOS(es).
- i actually don't have a PC speaker (i think). But time to find one.

@keropi - checked bunch of lines - all was good.

Forgot to mention - all components (cpu, ram, sram, chipset, etc) get warm over time - so there is current going through them for sure.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 8 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pshipkov wrote on 2020-03-16, 08:16:

Forgot to mention - all components (cpu, ram, sram, chipset, etc) get warm over time - so there is current going through them for sure.

That's no indication for correct voltage, though.

Reply 12 of 12, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You gotta have a pc speaker when the board won’t boot to get the boot codes.

If there are no beeps, is the ide plugged in backwards? Is the powersupply set to the right voltage?

Try no video card, no ram, no keyboard. Try hitting the reset switch a couple times.

After that you might want to look into getting a diagnostic card.