VOGONS

First post, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a strange issue with one of my pc's that I build for someone. After assembly everything seemed fine, then the day after it did not want to power on at all. At first I thought it was the PU. I replaced, it worked, I was happy. Bit later same problem. After a lot of testing I noticed that as soon as I reconnected the main PU cable to the PC it would work again. I also noticed that as long as there was electricity connected to the power supply it would always work. In short:

- If I turn off the PC and cut off all electricity and some time passes the PC would not turn on until I reconnect the main power cable to the motherboard (just a quick out/in is enough).
- If I turn off the PC but leave the power supply connected to the electrical outlet it will always power on fine, no matter how much time passed since last boot.

I have no idea what is causing this and even more importantly, how to fix this, never encountered this before.

Reply 1 of 3, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On the PC help and support FB group they advise me to replace the power unit but I already done this twice to the same results; this is a old system by the way, meant to run Win98SE for Dos and 3Dfx games. But it works perfect, except for the very weird power issue...

Reply 3 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Planet-Dune wrote on 2020-03-17, 16:03:

- If I turn off the PC and cut off all electricity and some time passes the PC would not turn on until I reconnect the main power cable to the motherboard (just a quick out/in is enough).
- If I turn off the PC but leave the power supply connected to the electrical outlet it will always power on fine, no matter how much time passed since last boot.

I have no idea what is causing this and even more importantly, how to fix this, never encountered this before.

What motherboard is it ? You did not give any info on the system, just the problem. Hard to even guess without knowing more...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun