HWiNFO for DOS resurrected !

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BloodyCactus wrote on 2020-03-28, 12:30:
It no longer hangs but still only prints the 1st CSN. pnp nodes show correct still. […]
Show full quote

It no longer hangs but still only prints the 1st CSN.
pnp nodes show correct still.

still says 2 csn.

Perhiperals shows Gus as my sound card but I cant select it to see any detailed information.

Thanks. Does it now always show only 1 CSN, or sometimes both too?
Also please run this tool and attach the files it produces:

Filename
GETPNPRS.EXE
File size
8.11 KiB
Downloads
46 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 121 of 881, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ran the new dos version on the Compaq Prosignia Server, I think you know that machine already.
It's a bit disappointing, not very much is detected: no sound card, no SCSI controller, no NICs, name of the harddisk, name of the cd rom, no mainboard info, no L2 cache info of the mainboard.
And hey, Pentium Overdrive has 16k + 16k L1 cache, I guess that point you can fix easily.
But finally yay, some info from the graphics card show up.

I also attach debug and log file from hwinfo32 version 624, because I changed the hardware a bit. Now using the onboard Compaq SCSI controller instead of an external EISA Adaptec.

Attachments

• Filename
    hwi624-prosig.zip
    File size
    11.14 KiB
    Downloads
    62 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    HWINF603-prosig.zip
    File size
    2.95 KiB
    Downloads
    48 downloads
    File license

Reply 122 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-03-28, 20:10:
I ran the new dos version on the Compaq Prosignia Server, I think you know that machine already. It's a bit disappointing, not v […]
Show full quote

I ran the new dos version on the Compaq Prosignia Server, I think you know that machine already.
It's a bit disappointing, not very much is detected: no sound card, no SCSI controller, no NICs, name of the harddisk, name of the cd rom, no mainboard info, no L2 cache info of the mainboard.
And hey, Pentium Overdrive has 16k + 16k L1 cache, I guess that point you can fix easily.

I also attach debug and log file from hwinfo32 version 624, because I changed the hardware a bit. Now using the onboard Compaq SCSI controller instead of an external EISA Adaptec.

Thanks for the data, I'm analyzing it now...
It's not so bad for the first attempt from my point of view, as important is that all EISA devices have been properly detected. The rest can be tuned...
But it's a quite unusual combination of a PnP card in an EISA system 😁
SCSI information is available in DOS only if ASPI drivers are loaded.
Regarding the SB sound card - is this an ISA PnP plugged into EISA slot? Do you know what I/O range does it use?

Reply 123 of 881, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-03-28, 20:34:
Thanks for the data, I'm analyzing it now... It's not so bad for the first attempt from my point of view, as important is that a […]
Show full quote
I ran the new dos version on the Compaq Prosignia Server, I think you know that machine already. It's a bit disappointing, not v […]
Show full quote

It's not so bad for the first attempt from my point of view, as important is that all EISA devices have been properly detected. The rest can be tuned...
Regarding the SB sound card - is this an ISA PnP plugged into EISA slot? Do you know what I/O range does it use?

Hmm, with Compaq ASPI driver, CD driver, cutemouse and no EMM there is only 523kB free, so hwinfo does not run.
I tried then with EMM and with Compaq ASPI driver, still no SCSI info. I assume that you only tested with Adaptec ASPI driver so far.
So nope it does not work for me.

That computer only has EISA slots, so yes, it is in an EISA slot. The EISA configuration utility for this computer automatically configures ISA Plug and Play cards like this.
Yes, I know the I/O range. Shall I tell you?

I compared values shown in Compaq ECU with the ones shown in Windows 98 device manager, they are identical.
IRQ 5
DMA 1
DMA 3
220-22F
300-301
388-38B

Shall I change the values, that hwinfo is able to detect it?
Only kidding.

Reply 124 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-03-29, 09:43:
Hmm, with Compaq ASPI driver, CD driver, cutemouse and no EMM there is only 523kB free, so hwinfo does not run. I tried then wit […]
Show full quote
Thanks for the data, I'm analyzing it now... It's not so bad for the first attempt from my point of view, as important is that a […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Hmm, with Compaq ASPI driver, CD driver, cutemouse and no EMM there is only 523kB free, so hwinfo does not run.
I tried then with EMM and with Compaq ASPI driver, still no SCSI info. I assume that you only tested with Adaptec ASPI driver so far.

That computer only has EISA slots, so yes, it is in an EISA slot. The EISA configuration utility for this computer automatically configures ISA Plug and Play cards like this.

I compared values shown in Compaq ECU with the ones shown in Windows 98 device manager, they are identical.
IRQ 5
DMA 1
DMA 3
220-22F
300-301
388-38B

Only kidding.

ASPI is an universal standard, so it should not matter which controller is used. Is the SCSI menu item disabled when you load ASPI?
It's strange that HWiNFO doesn't show the SB in Peripherals screen as in that IO range it should automatically detect it there.
I have fixed a few things (mainboard name, cache detection - hopefully, etc.), could you please test this build: [removed as newer build available]

Last edited by Mumak on 2020-04-04, 18:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 125 of 881, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-03-29, 09:58:
ASPI is an universal standard, so it should not matter which controller is used. Is the SCSI menu item disabled when you load AS […]
Show full quote
Hmm, with Compaq ASPI driver, CD driver, cutemouse and no EMM there is only 523kB free, so hwinfo does not run. I tried then wit […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

IRQ 5
DMA 1
DMA 3
220-22F
300-301
388-38B

Only kidding.

ASPI is an universal standard, so it should not matter which controller is used. Is the SCSI menu item disabled when you load ASPI?
It's strange that HWiNFO doesn't show the SB in Peripherals screen as in that IO range it should automatically detect it there.
I have fixed a few things (mainboard name, cache detection - hopefully, etc.), could you please test this build: HWINF603.ZIP

Hello,

I made a slightly different dos configuration: I used himem.sys, the compaq aspi driver in config.sys (there are several drivers on the compaq support disk, I only use this one) and german keyboard driver nothing else.
See also the screenshot.

IMG_7390.JPG
Filename
IMG_7390.JPG
File size
738.75 KiB
Views
File license

There was enough memory free, no complaints from your latest hwinfo.
Some things got fixed.

And yes, SCSI is still greyed out.

Attachments

• Filename
    HWINFO.LOG
    File size
    21.13 KiB
    Downloads
    66 downloads
    File license

Reply 126 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-03-29, 11:34:
Hello, […]
Show full quote
ASPI is an universal standard, so it should not matter which controller is used. Is the SCSI menu item disabled when you load AS […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

IRQ 5
DMA 1
DMA 3
220-22F
300-301
388-38B

Only kidding.

I have fixed a few things (mainboard name, cache detection - hopefully, etc.), could you please test this build: HWINF603.ZIP

Hello,

I made a slightly different dos configuration: I used himem.sys, the compaq aspi driver in config.sys (there are several drivers on the compaq support disk, I only use this one) and german keyboard driver nothing else.
See also the screenshot.
IMG_7390.JPG
Some things got fixed.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you maybe know what's the device name of the ASPI driver? I don't recall anymore how to determine this, but I think there should be some tools able to provide names of devices installed. For standard ASPI driver, it should appear as "SCSIMGR$" (without the quotes) and I assume this driver is using some custom name. If you're enable to determine this, you could pass me the driver and I'll look inside it 😉

Reply 127 of 881, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-03-29, 13:16:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

See also the screenshot.
IMG_7390.JPG
Some things got fixed.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you maybe know what's the device name of the ASPI driver? I don't recall anymore how to determine this, but I think there should be some tools able to provide names of devices installed. For standard ASPI driver, it should appear as "SCSIMGR$" (without the quotes) and I assume this driver is using some custom name. If you're enable to determine this, you could pass me the driver and I'll look inside it 😉

That's the driver disk:
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detai … MTX_UNITY_I7599

Reply 128 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-03-29, 13:43:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

See also the screenshot.
IMG_7390.JPG
Some things got fixed.

That's the driver disk:

This asks me to install on local system via floppy. Could you please provide the final files installed ?

Reply 129 of 881, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-03-29, 14:20:

That's the driver disk:

This asks me to install on local system via floppy. Could you please provide the final files installed ?

I loaded "fws2aspi.sys", will attach the whole disk.

Attachments

• Filename
    cpq-aspi.zip
    File size
    50.51 KiB
    Downloads
    49 downloads
    File license

Reply 130 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-03-29, 14:57:

Thanks! This Compaq driver seems to be using a custom ASPI name, so lets hope it's fully ASPI-compliant. We'll see if you try this new build: [removed as newer build available]
This build should also show the video card bus as EISA.

Last edited by Mumak on 2020-04-04, 18:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 131 of 881, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-03-29, 15:53:

Thanks! This Compaq driver seems to be using a custom ASPI name, so lets hope it's fully ASPI-compliant. We'll see if you try this new build: HWINF603.ZIP

It gets better.

Filename
HWINFO.LOG
File size
24.75 KiB
Downloads
48 downloads
File license

Reply 132 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-03-29, 16:10:

Thanks! This Compaq driver seems to be using a custom ASPI name, so lets hope it's fully ASPI-compliant. We'll see if you try this new build: HWINF603.ZIP

It gets better.
HWINFO.LOG

Better? That's great, isn't it? 😁
So now only the SB detection remains an issue..

Reply 133 of 881, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-03-29, 16:13:
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-03-29, 16:10:

It gets better.
HWINFO.LOG

Better? That's great, isn't it? 😁
So now only the SB detection remains an issue..

I just tried not to be overenthusiastic.

Reply 134 of 881, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ran new version from front page. I get several different results.

one, I get two sound cards, neither selectable.
https://i.imgur.com/5FL13eX.jpg

then I might get one selectable
https://i.imgur.com/VbovpfA.jpg

still no ram detected on awe32
https://i.imgur.com/m1vuEmZ.jpg

I ran the GETPNPRS, the second csn is just a 512byte file of all 0xFF (this is the awe32 csn), so not gonna upload it.

this last time I ran it, it says 2 CSN's. then if I select it I get "No devices present".

So I can get, None, One or Two CSN's printed.

At this point I dont have time to test anymore, my house is really crazy with everyone home.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 135 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BloodyCactus wrote on 2020-03-29, 18:49:
I ran new version from front page. I get several different results. […]
Show full quote

I ran new version from front page. I get several different results.

one, I get two sound cards, neither selectable.
https://i.imgur.com/5FL13eX.jpg

then I might get one selectable
https://i.imgur.com/VbovpfA.jpg

still no ram detected on awe32
https://i.imgur.com/m1vuEmZ.jpg

I ran the GETPNPRS, the second csn is just a 512byte file of all 0xFF (this is the awe32 csn), so not gonna upload it.

this last time I ran it, it says 2 CSN's. then if I select it I get "No devices present".

So I can get, None, One or Two CSN's printed.

At this point I dont have time to test anymore, my house is really crazy with everyone home.

No problem, thanks for all your feedback and testing! Currently I don't know why those 2 cards behave so odd and I have no more ideas what else to do. I guess that's why it's called Plug-and-Pray...
I acquired a SB AWE32 PnP, as soon as it arrives I will do tests with it especially for the AWE DRAM size.

Reply 136 of 881, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2020-03-20, 05:38:
keenmaster486 wrote on 2020-03-19, 04:34:

386+ is fine, of course, but a 16-bit version I would LOVE as well, if possible.

Well, considering that HWiNFO needs 2+ MB RAM, it would be useless for majority of 286 machines anyway.

Why does it need 2+ MB RAM?

I see you're using either Borland C or Turbo C; the C++ versions of those (don't need to use C++ obviously) support the VROOMM overlay system. Using that would let the main program run on even 808x systems. Just a thought.

Reply 137 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MobyGamer wrote on 2020-03-31, 03:11:
Grzyb wrote on 2020-03-20, 05:38:
keenmaster486 wrote on 2020-03-19, 04:34:

386+ is fine, of course, but a 16-bit version I would LOVE as well, if possible.

Well, considering that HWiNFO needs 2+ MB RAM, it would be useless for majority of 286 machines anyway.

Why does it need 2+ MB RAM?

I see you're using either Borland C or Turbo C; the C++ versions of those (don't need to use C++ obviously) support the VROOMM overlay system. Using that would let the main program run on even 808x systems. Just a thought.

XMS is used for internal hardware databases, which are quite large. I did several optimizations are reduced the size, but still for non-PCI systems it requires additional ~1.3 MB of memory.

Reply 138 of 881, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yay, I managed to crash it 😜

System: Toshiba Libretto 30 CTK
http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/pc/catalog/oldpc/li … /lib30/spec.htm

EDIT: it's the 29/3/20 build

Attachments

Last edited by Cyrix200+ on 2020-04-01, 19:19. Edited 1 time in total.

1982 to 2001

Reply 139 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote on 2020-04-01, 19:16:
Yay, I managed to crash it :P […]
Show full quote

Yay, I managed to crash it 😜

System: Toshiba Libretto 30 CTK
http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/pc/catalog/oldpc/li … /lib30/spec.htm

EDIT: it's the 29/3/20 build

Thanks for the feedback. Can you please try to disable the "Check Keyboard Controller and Super IO" option in Setup menu if that will help?