VOGONS

First post, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

blood is a game that will claim to use use 36mb during startup, if that much memory is installed. yet still, even in this case when traversing through a level it will be hitting the HDD once in a while; even worse, when running this under real DOS without smartdrive on a period hard drive it will frequently almost grind to a halt when loading in new assets during level traversal. so what exactly is the game doing with the extra 20mb above minimal spec, as clearly it does not seem to preload assets?

are there any other dos games that can allocate that much memory (and maybe actually make use of it)? also was virtual memory actually ever a thing in DOS extender games, as afaik DOS/4G supports it?

Reply 2 of 4, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Although minimum is only 12MB, I believe Links LS 1997 Edition (DOS) would use as much as you could give it. It also took advantage of extra VRAM to render at up to 1600x1200x32bpp (provided graphics card and monitor supported it).

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 4, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I know most DOS era games allocated just the RAM thats needed.

Games derived from DOOM engine (require 4MB, can use up to 8MB) used the extra RAM to improve cache retention.

All allocated RAM goes to a custom memory allocator providing memory to the engine. Some no longer needed memory allocations can be marked as purgeable. The memory manager can purge data in order to satisfy other allocations but might keep them around for longer and reuse them later. Having 8MB instead of 4MB could improve retention of these blocks. Such as some level features, less frequently used sounds, etc.

However, as the cost of RAM before 1995 was very high, DOS games are unlikely to be complex enough to require or even be optimised for large amount of RAM. Even if they are capable to allocate the RAM this is unlikely to noticeably improve performance.

Last edited by mpe on 2020-03-22, 16:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 4 of 4, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
auron wrote on 2020-03-22, 12:31:

also was virtual memory actually ever a thing in DOS extender games, as afaik DOS/4G supports it?

Absolutely. Many games will use a pagefile if you have less than 8MB.
Red Alert will always allocate a 20MB pagefile even if it's not needed.