VOGONS

First post, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi folks,

Got this mistery board that has an odd expansion slot (OPTi local bus, maybe?); it does't want to POST no matter what I tried. Diagnostic card displays only dashes, no beep from the speaker.

SiS85C360 board.jpg
Filename
SiS85C360 board.jpg
File size
775.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

- Modded the Dallas chip, CPU gets hot, tried three processors (all Intel, DX and SX/33, DX2/66), known good RAM (and no RAM).
- Reflowed the SiS 85C360 chipset to be sure there's no broken solder joint.
- Tried another keyboard controller, another (un-modded) Dallas chip, tried a BIOS from another SiS 471 board.
- Oscillators on the board are working, even replaced the 66MHz with a 50MHz one for testing, no change.
- Cache sockets were populated when I got the board, I removed the chips to make sure they are good; tested OK on my TL866 but I'm not putting them back until I get the board going.

Scoured the net for another BIOS for this SiS 360 chipset, couldn't find any. Same for the chipset datasheet.
There's this string to be found inside the BIOS image, based on which the board seems to be manufactured by Flexus (never heard of them):
40-0000-001470-00101111-060692-SIS3486

As usual, looking for any advice or suggestion.

Here's the BIOS if someone is interested:

Filename
Unknown 486 SiS 85C360 Local Bus.rar
File size
38.93 KiB
Downloads
56 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could you please try the Tantalum capacitors near the AT power connector. Those are known to fail after some time. Maybe you need to check the ESR value.

I might be mistaken, but the connector on the bottom of the board might be a riser of some kind? Cannot tell for sure...

Reply 2 of 6, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Flexus=FreeTech and from the ASY 01-00193- marking it is a 486F19 for which we have no documentation, information etc yet.

Indeed, check for shorts in the tantalums and check if both oscillators are still alive. If you have a POST card, use that to see how far it tries to boot.

Reply 4 of 6, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No idea on the hardware side but here's what those BIOS screens look like if it helps any.

Attachments

• bios2.png
    Filename
    bios2.png
    File size
    13.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    bios1.png
    File size
    8.65 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 6, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fiddled a little with the oscilloscope around the board today. Noticed that after some resets there was activity on the EPROM data/address lines, all except A2. Traced the signal to a nearby LS245, then to another one, then it split three ways: A2 pin on the CPU, pin 92 on the chipset and some pin in the local bus slot.

This line was almost shorted to ground (2 ohms resistance). I hoped the second LS245 was the culprit, but after removing it the short persisted. I made a small cut in the trace going to the chipset, short disappeared, so dead chipset 🙁

Jumpered the cut trace and the short was there again, for it to disappear for good when I removed the chipset...

RiP Flexus/FreeTech board.