VOGONS

First post, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it possible to bypass the check for the presence of a working battery when updating the BIOS?

Got a Dell Latitude CPi laptop, when I try to update the BIOS it says insert the battery. The battery is actually dead.

How to get around this check programmatically? Many manufacturers do not test the battery, but Dell doing this stupid check before update firmware.

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 1 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MAZter wrote on 2020-03-23, 15:42:

but Dell doing this stupid check before update firmware.

It's not a stupid check, because if mains power is lost during the update, the laptop is bricked. With a battery inserted, that can't happen.

You can either disassemble the flash utility and disable the check, or try to find a generic flash tool that won't care about it. Not sure if such exists for DELL laptops.

Reply 2 of 5, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-23, 15:54:
MAZter wrote on 2020-03-23, 15:42:

but Dell doing this stupid check before update firmware.

It's not a stupid check, because if mains power is lost during the update, the laptop is bricked. With a battery inserted, that can't happen.

You can either disassemble the flash utility and disable the check, or try to find a generic flash tool that won't care about it. Not sure if such exists for DELL laptops.

Or try to get a working battery for the laptop. That could be difficult, though.

Reply 3 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Get a working battery. There is a good reason for that check as already mentioned.

Generally it is not too hard to find a new aftermarket battery or even a brand new OEM battery for an older laptop.

And if you really want to, you can probably rebuilt the old battery pack with new batteries if you are willing / capable of doing that.

What model is it?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 5, by mt777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had similar problem with my Thinkpad 755 (which couldn't bypass bios updater for checking battery level)
Finally I disassembled all parts, desolder tsop flash and manually program it. Next solder it to board and assembly all parts. Great satisfaction at end 😀