VOGONS

First post, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys!

So, I am stupid and broke my Socket 7 board BIOS. How? Well, I took the EEPROM chip out (it's a socketed Winbond ), then put it into my EPROM programmer and took a backup of the current BIOS. Then, I wrote a newer version of the BIOS to a regular EPROM I had (27C040-15, the -15 matches the original EEPROM). Since the EPROM is 512kB in size, and the original BIOS EEPROM is 128kB, I created a 512kB file by appending the newer BIOS file 4 times in the same file, and proceeded to write this file to the EPROM. When I put this EPROM on the board, it did not work. It did nothing, not even beeps. OK, maybe the EPROM is not compatible, whatever. Then, I flashed the new version of the BIOS on the original EEPROM of the board. For whatever reason, the new version does not work, the board beeps one long, two short (probem initializing video) and then keeps beeping (memory problem). But here's the real issue: after writing the backup I took of the original EEPROM again, the board keeps doing the same!! so now I am assuming I broke the board beyond repair. I tested the video card and it's OK, so there should be no problem initializing it. I can't test the memory, but I assume it's OK too.

Any way to repair this? or I just broke it for being silly?

The most important question: could the EPROM that I put before have broken / burned / damaged some internal component in the board? I checked the pinout:

SOUND-EPROM.jpg

and it does seem to be electrically compatible with the original EEPROM:

w29ee011_s.png

Thanks!!

Reply 1 of 1, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys

Just to let you know that I fixed the board. It turns out I had two issues:

- The original EEPROM is not correctly written, for whatever reason one byte stays always at FF, which means it's blank, so it fails the LHA compression checksum (which Award uses with its BIOS) and therefore the PC does not run. I think the EEPROM chip is bad and it would need to be replaced.
- The replacement EPROM had some pins "in the air", therefore it was not making correct contact. The solution was lifting pins VPP, A18 and A17 (defined here: https://www.futurlec.com/Memory/27C040_Datasheet.shtml), so that they do not get inserted in the BIOS socket, and then soldering a cable from the GND pin of the EPROM, to them so that they stay in GND correctly. After doing this, the board revived and I'm happy, 🤣. Some pics:

EPROM with the pins grounded. Yes, I put electrical tape on the A17 and A18 pins after taking the photo:
IMG-4385.jpg

Error that started appearing. I guess the board does not know how to identify the EPROM:
IMG-4388.jpg

Masterbooter (boot manager I use in this PC) showing its menu in all glory 😀
IMG-4389.jpg