VOGONS

First post, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally got my 386 workibg, remembered I had a crt in the stockroom, connected it and only get black and white. Now, i know for fact the pc can de color as I had color yesterday with a flatscreen attached. The crt czn do color as it shows color in the settibgs panel.. anyone know what could be causing this?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your monitor has DDC on pin 12. Your VGA card however is too old to know about DDC and uses pin 12 to detect a monochrome display instead, thus switching to b/w mode. Use a VGA cable that lacks pin 12 or remove it.

Reply 2 of 6, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-25, 21:40:

Your monitor has DDC on pin 12. Your VGA card however is too old to know about DDC and uses pin 12 to detect a monochrome display instead, thus switching to b/w mode. Use a VGA cable that lacks pin 12 or remove it.

The vga cable is permanently attached to the monitor 🙁 but..
Are you sure about this? Windows also is b&w BUT.. look at solitaire, dont believe theses are the 100 percent normal colors? But its color..

Attachments

Reply 4 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So it's not black and white as you wrote in your first post.

Try a different PC with that monitor. Could be a broken wire in the VGA cable or a bad solder joint inside the monitor. Seems like there's no blue. I assume you already reset the monitor to factory settings?

Reply 5 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If any of the colors lines were not connected there wouldn't be gray tones possible. This most probably is the video card identifying the monitor as something "not color" and a fix is setting ID pins to something that tells the video card "color monitor". I have modified several video cards into permanently color state.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 6, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-25, 21:49:

So it's not black and white as you wrote in your first post.

Try a different PC with that monitor. Could be a broken wire in the VGA cable or a bad solder joint inside the monitor. Seems like there's no blue. I assume you already reset the monitor to factory settings?

Did not notice tve win color and norton commander is normally indeed fully blue.

I checked the screen settings and if i change the amoubt of blue it does increase decrease the blue saturation of the blue used in the monitor settings window but nothing changed on the pc itself.. i guess this monitor is broke 🙁

Attachments