VOGONS

First post, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While rearranging my "hobby room", i.e. the sparse few m² which have been allocated to me by the supreme leader, I came across a M-ATX case, an ASUS TUSL2-M and a Tualatin 1,4.

So a new Win98Se project has been born. The idea is to overclock the Tualatin as far as my knowledge and the available equipment will allow me to do. Idea is to run Warcraft III and C&C Generals in a SXGA resolution (1280*1024).

I do have a few questions, though:

- The stock BIOS allows overclocking, but there is no set PCI-speed. The PCI-bus will therefore move along with the increase in FSB, luckily with a divider . With a fat Socket A-cooler, the Tualatin runs at 1575@51°C.

There is no mention of the AGP bus, but it only seems logical that the AGP-bus speed will follow the same route.

a) How damaging can this be for an AGP-card, especially for the following cards (of which I'll use one for this project):

- ATI 9700 Pro
- Voodoo 5 5500
- Geforce 7600GT

b) How damaging is an increase in PCI-bus for PCI-based soundcards? I have a Maxi Sound Fortissimo II and III which I'd like to use in this build instead of the built-in audio.

c) There's a French site with modified "evil inside" BIOS for the TUSL-range of ASUS mainboards. As the BIOS chip is soldered directly on to the mainboard, I'm wary of flashing it, unless I can have some input from people who are using that modded bios on their systems. A search on this forum revealed at least one happy user.

d) After delidding my daily i3770K and being very happy with the outcome, I was thinking about delidding a Tualatin and replacing the stock cooling paste by liquid metal to allow it to run more coolly (and increase the FSB even more). Has this been done before? I wouldn't mind risking it, I have spares of 1,4 Tualatins in case it would go awry tragically .

Pictures will follow!

Reply 1 of 1, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock370 … /tusl2m-104.pdf On page 60 - won't the shown PCI frequency here change according to the FSB? Anyways, I'm preeeetty sure that AGP always runs double of PCI on i815* chipsets, i.e. when setting 133:133:33 the PCI divider is 1:4 and AGP divider is 1:2 with respect to FSB.

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀