VOGONS

First post, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I want to add something practical to my expansion tower.

Currently it has a DVD drive, dual floppy, a CF to IDE adapter, and a Sound Blaster Audigy panel which isn't connected to anything; I just thought it looked cool.

I'd like to swap the SB panel for something more practical, but all I can think of is a ventilated cover or one of those flimsy plastic drawers that never worked right for me.

I'd rather not have any USB devices there either.

Perhaps one of you can advise other things?

Reply 1 of 8, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps one of those 5.25" Bay speakers that were... Well, weird.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 3 of 8, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VFD/LCD info display, ZIP drive, multi-CDROM changer, fan controller, NewQ Gold or Platinum, hot swap caddy, multi-card reader, IR transfer port, reservoir for watercooling, ...need more suggestions?

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 4 of 8, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vynix wrote on 2020-03-27, 21:27:

Perhaps one of those 5.25" Bay speakers that were... Well, weird.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. But I already have external speakers.

derSammler wrote on 2020-03-27, 21:43:

DVD RAM, SyQuest, etc. There are plenty of options. All depends on what is "more practical" for you.

I already have a DVD-ROM, and I'd rather not use obsolete media aside from floppies.

wiretap wrote on 2020-03-27, 22:04:

VFD/LCD info display, ZIP drive, multi-CDROM changer, fan controller, NewQ Gold or Platinum, hot swap caddy, multi-card reader, IR transfer port, reservoir for watercooling, ...need more suggestions?

You're on a nice roll, please continue. 😀

Reply 6 of 8, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-03-28, 06:04:

Wow........

Too bad I don't smoke. 😜

Reply 7 of 8, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could just burn yourself to create a wound that can symbolize your emotional pain, or as a way to avoid telling loved ones about your feelings. Or maybe just as a really round-a-bout way to charge your cell phone...

Reply 8 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lylat1an wrote on 2020-03-28, 02:03:

I already have a DVD-ROM, and I'd rather not use obsolete media aside from floppies.

DVD-RAM are probably the safest media to this day and are perfect for backups. But as I said, your definition of "practical" is unknown to us.