VOGONS

First post, by daibido1123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, so I am on the hunt for a 5.25 Floppy drive, but first I am trying to find out which one is the best option. I'm looking for a unit that does not need a cardboard spacer when not in use, that is double-sided read/write, that can read and write on all standards of data density floppies, and is of solid rugged construction that needs minimal maintenance and easy to clean if needed. An internal unit would be preferred, but an external unit is also an option. This is for a Pentium Socket 3 build.

Thanks all for your time.

Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous
Confucius

Reply 2 of 3, by daibido1123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, they are to protect against the mechanism bouncing and damaging the head. Later and high-quality units had an anti-bounce mechanism, making the cardboard un-needed.

Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous
Confucius

Reply 3 of 3, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These cardboard inserts are for protecting the drive during transport only. No drive needs them when "not in use". They prevent the heads from colliding and the sled from moving. That's it. No need to care about.

that can read and write on all standards of data density floppies

Doesn't exist. 5.25" disk drives are not compatible in such a way. If you use a HD 5.25" disk drive to write to lower density floppy disks, an actual low-density disk drive won't be able to read it.