VOGONS

First post, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just yesterday I was browsing AOpen's FTP server and all was fine.

Today I can't open the folders that were opening just fine yesterday. This link is completely dead: ftp://ftp.aopen.com/pub/

All downloads for legacy products have also been removed, e.g. if you go here, you can't select anything: http://global.aopen.com/products_download.aspx?auno=274

The files were there just yesterday!

Reply 4 of 34, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-04-01, 22:51:

It seems the Russian mirror is still online. I think I'm going to download manuals, BIOS files and drivers at least for their old mobos and sound cards.

what is the russian mirror address?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 34, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-04-01, 23:45:

Downloading the whole ftp now. Having to use an external USB enclosure since all my internal drives are pretty much full at this point. Really need to buy a few larger drives such as a few 4TB each minimum.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 34, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks here too ! Noticed there is very little old stuff there, mostly P4 and newer but still good to back it up.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 34, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some of the other mirrors still have everything as well.

ftp://ftp.aopen.com.tw/ - only has pub03
ftp://ftp.aopen.com/ - only has pub03

These still have all of the sub folders though the dates on them do not match. I wonder if they are not identical.
ftp://ftp.aopen.ru/
ftp://ftp.aopen.nl/
ftp://ftp.aopen.com.cn/
ftp://ftp.aopen.co.jp/

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 34, by AmiSapphire

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Deksor grabbed a complete copy of their FTP server before my version finally finished; all within a few hours. Still have an archived complete (at the time) copy of it on my own web server, but it's not Internet-facing. I touched the .com one, and Deksor probably went to .com.tw. Wouldn't be surprised if they eventually remove all but pub03 on the other mirrors after all of this.

The directory dates aren't exact to each mirror, but the data was the exact same otherwise. Found that out in 2015.

--

/pub03/ is updated, but I don't feel like updating it now. A new subdirectory called Driver Disc exists there now; mainly a bunch of .iso files full of their designated device drivers and utilities, but some subdirectories there are empty. Also, one new BIOS file as well in /pub03/bios/.

Site update: cwcyrix.duckdns.org -> cwcyrix.nsupdate.info due to the former no longer working.

Reply 12 of 34, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought Aopen was discontinued as a brand over 10 years ago.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 13 of 34, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-04-02, 15:34:

I thought Aopen was discontinued as a brand over 10 years ago.

Nope. They apparently still sell stuff as is evidenced by their pages. Not sure where they sell it as I never see anything Aopen branded in stores. Then again I hardly ever go to retail stores and the ones around here are really just Best Buy and some mom and pop shops. Staples and Office Depot don't count.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 34, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-04-02, 00:19:
darry wrote on 2020-04-01, 23:45:

Downloading the whole ftp now. Having to use an external USB enclosure since all my internal drives are pretty much full at this point. Really need to buy a few larger drives such as a few 4TB each minimum.

What is the total size?

I have considerable space on my homeserver that I can download the FTP to if required. The more that have it the better.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 16 of 34, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll have to check when I get home, but from what I was seeing last night after it finished grabbing the folders and files names to be downloaded it looked like it was probably around 120GB or so. Had less than 50GB to go when I went to bed last night.

I'll be zipping it up and uploading the whole thing to archive.org.

Edit: 126GB in size.. takes up 128GB on an exFAT partition.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18 of 34, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Cyclone3D 120GB ?
Huh, when I archive Aopen.nl I got only 96GB

How do you upload things to archive.org ? I keep having somthing that breaks after sending a couple of GB of data ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative