VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I am trying to use a Waveblaster with my AWE32 3990. Some games will play midi music (Ultima VIII,) whereas the following games that I tested will not: Wing Commander Privateer, Dark Sun - Shattered Lands, and Doom 1 & 2 so far...

Privateer lets me choose the IRQ for the Waveblaster, and none of the options work. Like Ultima VIII, Dark Sun doesn't give me the option to choose IRQ, but I get no music, same as both Dooms. If I choose AWE32 for Doom, the music plays.

I'm not sure why I can't get the Waveblaster to work with Ultima VIII, but nothing else, so far...

Any ideas?

Scythifuge

Reply 2 of 7, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-04-04, 04:58:

Does that require the aweutil tsr to be loaded? It doesn't work with protected mode games like doom. Are you in dos or windows?

I am in DOS. Choosing AWE32 in Doom does work for me with AWEUTIL. Though it is the Waveblaster I am testing; trying to determine why it works in Ulltima VIII and not in any other game that I test.

I forgot to mention that I have an MPU-IPC-T in the system and it is set to 330, and the Midi on the AWE32 is set to 300.

Reply 3 of 7, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AWE32 is on a special port that never requires the tsr. The waveblaster is just a midi device and you typically need aweutil to be resident. The AWE is much better under Win98 where all of this becomes irrelevant.

Reply 4 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bet those other games want the MIDI port to be at 330.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 7, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-04-04, 05:08:

AWE32 is on a special port that never requires the tsr. The waveblaster is just a midi device and you typically need aweutil to be resident. The AWE is much better under Win98 where all of this becomes irrelevant.

AWEUTIL is for the AWE32 features (port 620.) I have the daughterboard header set to port 300. Privateer doesn't support the AWE32 , but it supports the Waveblaster. I had a 486 and a CT2760 that died, and I replaced them with a Pentium 133 and the 3990. The Waveblaster worked in the previous system with a similar setup, which was port 300 for utilizing the Waveblaster, and it isn't working in this system. The Waveblaster doesn't require AWEUTIL - I believe that is just for soundfonts. It is similar to the daughterboard connector on non-AWE32 cards.

For some reason, only some games are seeing the Waveblaster at port 300, and others are not.

Reply 7 of 7, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-04-04, 07:52:
Scythifuge wrote on 2020-04-04, 05:24:

AWEUTIL is for the AWE32 features (port 620.)

No, it's always required. It's used to init anything MIDI-related.

Do the older Sound Blaster cards with wave table headers use a file to initiate the header?