VOGONS

First post, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am desoldering some components to clean corrosion and this ceramic part broke in half. Im it looks like a resistor it says 522 104 on it. Looks like a fat wire inside, could I solder it back? But that would change the resistance of I add more mass to it?

IMG-20200405-205507.jpg

IMG-20200405-205546.jpg

Reply 2 of 27, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-04-05, 11:28:

It's a 100 nF capacitor, and no, you can't solder it back

thanx for the quick reply, time to look for a replacement then

Reply 6 of 27, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
treeman wrote on 2020-04-05, 11:47:

could I get away with replacing it with a SMD 100nF capacitor?

Yes, as long as it is a Tantalum cap as well. While you can replace electrolyte caps with Tantalum caps, it's not recommended to do it the other way around.

Reply 8 of 27, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

all it says is 522 104, but I have another identical capacitor (they were both side by side) can I determine the voltage using a multimeter on the second capacitor I removed?

Reply 10 of 27, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"104" refers to the capacity of 100nF. No idea what "522" is supposed to mean. I know such odd numbers from SMD caps only. Could be 5% tolerance and 22V however, as these would fit in with common specs of such caps.

LewisRaz wrote on 2020-04-05, 13:10:

If its from a PC just make sure its higher than 12v and it will be fine.

No, since you can have a voltage of up to 24V on a PC (between -12V and +12V), and this is indeed not uncommon in certain circuits. Also, the next higher voltage for a cap would be 16V and that is *not* suitable for a 12V rail. So to be on the absolute safe side, you would have to use a cap rated for 35V.

Last edited by derSammler on 2020-04-05, 13:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

is this really a tantalum cap?
it looks to me an old-style 100nf axial/bead capacitor and most likely a filtering one that can be omitted (check if it sits between gnd and some voltage)
a whatever-style 100nf ceramic one will work fine as a replacement

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 27, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like a Tantalum cap to me due to its form and slighly shiny orange color. I've not seen other types of caps looking like that. But we don't know where it is coming from and how old it actually is.

But it should be easy to tell, even if not from the pictures. If it is indeed a Tantalum cap, one of the pins should have a mark in some way (black line or a dot) to indicate the positive side.

Reply 14 of 27, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is how they look prior to removal, external battery power goes to them so im guessing 5v rating should be enough?

IMG-20200405-154951-2.jpg

ps maybye thats a 5ZZ if there is such a thing?

Reply 17 of 27, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

People tell you you can't, but actually I broke one exactly that way, the mobo it came one didn't work well anymore, then I resoldered what was left to the mobo and the mobo worked again, so it can be done ... but they're so cheap you should replace it indeed.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 18 of 27, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it is a 100nF axial ceramic, probably rated at 50v like the pic below. One 486 board has a few of them as in the other pic.

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 19 of 27, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found my local shop has some monolithic capacitors in stock, I'll call them but who knows if they will be open during COVID-19 although half the shops are still open.

From my research this is supposed to be a very stable capacitor, any reason can't use this one?

RC5490-100nf-50vdc-monolithic-capacitor-Image-Main-515.jpg

100nF 50VDC Monolithic Capacitor