VOGONS

First post, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys, I have a celeron 500 system running 98 SE with 256MB RAM and the unofficial service pack 2.1a (heard later versions were bloated and basically offered nothing worthwhile). I installed a TrendNet TU2-ET100 version 3.0R and is hooked up to a USB 2.0 PCI card with NEC controller (same one Phils Computer Lab) has on his site. I am also using the 3.6 version of the USB 2.0 stack driver. I did not replace any of the files from that stack with older versions from the unofficial service pack when doing the install. When I click start and shut down, it sits at the shutting down screen with zero activity. If I press the power button it shuts off. I think it may be shutting down clean as it does not run scandisk when restarting. Is there an easy fix for this? I heard Realtek drivers could cause this back in the day but this chipset is starts with an AX8 (don't have it in front of me) so I don't think that is it. According to regedit fast shutdown is disabled by the service pack properly. Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 1, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Few reasons Win98 doesn't shutdown

The first one has nothing to do with networking
Q239887 Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement

The other 2 are network related more then specific realtek
Q260067 Mapped Drives Shutdown Update
Q242934 Windows hangs sending system broadcast message during shutdown

Strangely I only started having trouble when I applied Q239887 and Q260067. If I don't apply any hotfix's my PC's shut down fine.

I know some people love the unofficial service pack, others are like me though and only install the minimum updates needed. It's not like any of the security updates help in this day and age.