VOGONS

First post, by lutz79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody,
I have a problem with my Philips NMS TC-100 8088. It works well, but the hard disk (an MFM model connected to an ISA controller) occasionally begins to read sectors badly as if it were broken.

I tried to run the freeware utility Spinrite v2, which occasionally repairs MFM hard drives, but unfortunately some sectors are reported as "Uncorrectable". And unfortunately they are sectors in use (they involve files that I don't care about). But it also involves sectors not yet used.

I also tried, following a guide, to lubricate the scooter with a dry bicycle lubricant. Sometimes it works. But the result hasn't changed.

I was considering the purchase of an 8-bit ISA controller for compact flash with dos 6.22 pre-installed.

In your opinion, if I continue to use this hard disk, could I risk a definitive break? Or is the important thing not to "touch" the bad sectors?

Second question: is it worth buying that ISA controller? Obviously I would reinstall DOS 3.30 on the compact flash.

Thanks a lot to everyone!

Reply 1 of 1, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could try doing a low level format of this drive, usually you will need to boot on a DOS floppy and type in "DEBUG" then "G=C800:5" to invoke the LLF utility in the card's BIOS.

This will of course destroy all data on the HDD...

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]