VOGONS

First post, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been using a 32GB PATA SSD by Kingspec (PA25-32) for some time now, but for my next retro build Indecided to go the CompactFlash route simply to see if it's viable.

For this purpose, I bought a cheap CF-IDE adapter (which plugs directly into the port on the motherboard) and a SanDisk Extreme 32GB Compact Flash.

The PA25-32 SSD from Kingspec is an interesting device which is based on SiliconMotion SM2236 controller. According to the manufacturer's website, this controller is actually designed for fast CompactFlash cards (CF6.0): http://www.siliconmotion.com/A3.2_Partnumber_Detail.php?sn=6 The SSD uses MLC NAND.

SanDisk doesn't disclose what controllers and what type of NAND flash are used in their CF cards.

Since I have both devices on hand, I decided to compare their performance on my main retro machine with the following specs:

- CPU: AMD K6-II+ at 550 MHz
- Motherboard: GA-5AX rev. 4.1 (ALi Aladdin V), built-in IDE controller supports UDMA 33
- RAM: 384 MB running at 100 MHz

Both the SSD and the CF card were partitioned on my Linux box to ensure proper alignment. The SSD has been in use for about 6 months (mostly under DOS), the CF card has been in use for just 5 days which may or may not skew the results in its favour.

In DOS, both devices feel extremely snappy. I had no problems with copying files, running games etc. The time it takes to calculate the amount of free space is subjectively the same (instantaneous) for both devices.

Let's start with Speedsys.

CF card:

201A229A-1540-42E6-8F53-DBF14CA2B571.jpeg
Filename
201A229A-1540-42E6-8F53-DBF14CA2B571.jpeg
File size
817.07 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Random access time: 0.43ms
Linear read speed: 5966 KB/s
HDD score: 2382

SSD:

C28E3B10-B1C5-42C8-9859-6EECED9DAC32.jpeg
Filename
C28E3B10-B1C5-42C8-9859-6EECED9DAC32.jpeg
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license

Random access time: 0.53ms
Linear read speed: 6065 KB/s
HDD score: 1967

ATTO Disk Benchmark under Windows 98.

CF card:

797C9439-2BEE-4D3C-9D2B-1349D2775169.jpeg
Filename
797C9439-2BEE-4D3C-9D2B-1349D2775169.jpeg
File size
153.57 KiB
Views
File license

SSD:

B9AB97CD-F97D-49A3-B15A-432F7D48882E.jpeg
Filename
B9AB97CD-F97D-49A3-B15A-432F7D48882E.jpeg
File size
124.19 KiB
Views
File license

I do apologize for the photos of the screen, but apparently the PrintScreen button on my NMB "Space Invaders" keyboard doesn't work 🙁

As we can see, the CF card is actually a bit faster than the SSD, especially when it comes to reading, although they both pretty much saturate the UDMA 33 controller in this PC. This difference in performance (or lack thereof) is only fair, since this Compact Flash card costs roughly the same as the SSD in question.

These results probably don't apply to more expensive SSDs and cheaper CF cards.

I also can't comment on belong term reliability of these storage devices, since I haven't used them long enough yet.

Reply 1 of 3, by FazzaGBR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great article! I looked at the IDE SSDs and when I saw the price I decided to go down the CF route as the adapters are cheap (they dont do a lot reallt as CF are in effect IDE) and got a load of random CF cards from a second hand shop, it was pot luck what brand you got but most were Kingston and the odd one was a random brand like Jessops. So far the couple of laptops I have put them in are going strong! 😀

My personal website blog: https://www.retrocomputing.co.uk/ and my new Retro Computing YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8UT2gm3EvNl2tvomN7reg

Reply 2 of 3, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My experience with measuring max though put on solid state ATA devices (CF, DOM, and SSD) in old hardware is that the max through put is often (usually?) limited by the ATA protocol negotiated between the controller and the storage device. HWiNFO for dos is a good quick way to determine what ATA / UDMA level the device is operating at. I found that contemporary storage devices did not always negotiate the best speed with legacy IDE controllers and that it is not unusual to see a device negotiate slower speeds with different controllers even if everything is rated at a faster ATA speed. Using an add in PCI controller or a different motherboard can significantly change the max throughput of the storage device if it allows for a faster protocol. Some controllers don’t recognize DOM devices as 80 pin cable connected and negotiate a slower speed.

Predicting max through put for SD and USB storage devices on an IDE bus is different because they are not native ATA devices and have a bridge chip. The sintech bridge was frequently the weak link when measuring max SD throughput on socket 7 boards. It looks like the bridge is limited to 25mbs regardless of what SD card I used. Protocol negotiation between the bridge chip and the legacy controller was also still an issue in some cases but it was more a compatibility problem than a performance problem. I frequently had trouble getting the sintech to negotiate back to ATA-0 on old 486 systems. The SD adapter would not work in those cases.

Sata/pata bridges were almost always limited by the negotiated ATA protocol.

The small random transfers are a different story and probably have a bigger impact on Windows performance. Device buffer & speed, writing algorithms and flash speed probably factor into this along with protocol negotiation.

I think the devices that have slower writes than reads would be the result of the type of flash used, yes?

Reply 3 of 3, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Compact flash card is solid-state device that in just a smaller factor than SSD.

It has the same architecture with PATA interface with different connector, a controller and one or more flash chips:

DSC_6696.jpeg
Filename
DSC_6696.jpeg
File size
513.62 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
DSC_6694.jpeg
Filename
DSC_6694.jpeg
File size
505.99 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The performance only depends on the controller used and number or speed of chips. So SSD can be faster or CF, depending on what's inside.

Given the PCB of PATA SSD can be bigger, sometimes SSD have more chips which somewhat improve durability and performance. But often especially when comparing smaller SSD drives there is no practical difference and they often share the same parts inside and even the PCB size isn't that much different.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4