VOGONS

First post, by perhenden

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The harddrive in my old PC1640 needs replacement, and I'm not sure which CF cards will work with the CompactFlash adapter for XT-IDE I bought.

My guess is that large cards , above 32MB and UDMA-enabled cards will not work. New/long-life cards within those specs may be hard to find or expensive.
Perhaps the XT-CF-LITE bios enables support for larger drives?

The XT-CF-lite FAQ says to make sure the card supports 8-bit transfer mode, and that most cards do, otherwise I can't find information on which cards are supported.
The CF spec requires that all compliant cards support 8-bit transfers in True-IDE mode, so hopefully that requirement will be easy to meet.

Recommendations for Compact Flash cards for this old 8086? Did you get a card larger than 32MB to work?

Reply 1 of 2, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The supported capacity depends on the hard disk BIOS and the version of DOS used. The CPU and/or architecture of the PC has no relevance. With XT-IDE, you can easily use very large cards with later versions of DOS.

Reply 2 of 2, by perhenden

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks! I found that MS-DOS 3.2 and Dos plus 1.x, which the PC1640 installation media contains, supports drives up to 32MB. Later versions support larger drives/partitions, up to 2GB, with FreeDos having a theoretical limit of 2TB (!).

I learned that the original CHS addressing (on IBM PC) is using a max of 1024 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors,
which maxes out for a maximum of 1024*16*63*(sector size=512)/(2**20) = 504 MB, or 528 MiB.
I chose the size 512MiB (=488MB), to be within the limit of 504MB. There are ways to work around this limit, I read.

Also, I noticed there are a couple of bundle deals on ebay, with CF-card + XT-IDE adapter, and they use CISCO Industrial Grade CompactFlash Cards, so I bought one of those.

EDIT: updated with more information, for possible future use by others in the same situation.