VOGONS

First post, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I hope someone can advise - I have a retro system with no CD drive, but it does have two CF cards. I was hoping to install Windows 2k or xp from one CF to the other. I wrote the install CD iso to the CF card using Rufus. The system boots from the install media CF and goes into windows setup, but then I am presented with 'Windows cannot find a previous install of windows NT on this machine, press F3 to quit'.

I tried both full copies of Win2K anmd WinXP, both had the same result. They are full copies, not upgrade discs.

Any ideas please? Thanks

System: Asus TUSL2, P3 Tualatin 1.4ghz, latest bios.

Reply 1 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you sure about them being full versions? That message certainly suggests they are for upgrading.

If possible, upload a picture of the discs.

Besides, you can also install from a FAT-formatted hard disk. Just copy the i386 folder over, boot into DOS and run the setup from the i386 folder. At least with NT 4.0 I did that many times.

Reply 2 of 12, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-04-12, 14:53:

Are you sure about them being full versions? That message certainly suggests they are for upgrading.

I'm simply burning ISOs that I already have. I have a Win2K ISO SP4 fully updated, and the XP copy I have is a special Micro-XP custom ISO for retro machines. (BTW I do own Win2k and XP on CD also)

Reply 4 of 12, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update: This ISO worked! Oddly my other isos must have been upgrades... strange! But true 😀

But: Now a new problem - 'Setup cannot find the end user licensing agreement (EULA)

🤣 the saga continues... 😀

I will attempt to find the EULA on my CD and copy it to the CF.

Reply 6 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

mzry, please do not post warez here in this forum.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Sorry, as Abandonware has no legal backing, everything labeled thus is considered warez here. This is not my view of the world but Vogons needs protection and can't be seen condoning this.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only site I'm aware of that has a DMCA exemption is the Internet Archive. AFAIK "winworld, betaarchive, etc" is just another so called "abandonware" site.

The other reason is for issues such as the above. We have better things to do here than troubleshoot broken software that is broken not because of an issue with the software itself but because it's a corrupted or ripped copy.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote on 2020-04-12, 16:56:

The only site I'm aware of that has a DMCA exemption is the Internet Archive.

I'm told that in fact, they have no special legal standing at all - they just have a good legal team willing to go to bat for them. (Plus it might be bad publicity if someone did decide to go after them.)

Anyway, I kind of wish there was a convenient way to generate a special minimized install from original media; if you download something from somewhere, you really have no way of knowing if someone stuck in some kind of malware. There's always nLite, but that has limited capabilities.

mzry wrote on 2020-04-12, 16:20:

Going forward I am using my OFFICIAL CD's and writing them to CF (which I own)

As noted above, there's nothing particularly special about the original install media. You can copy the i386 folder right off the CD and onto your CF card.

Reply 11 of 12, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The requirement for OS to work is fixed disk bit is set in the compact flash. Without this OS will not boot or refuse to install. The consumer CF (most of them), is set as removable disk.

Most reliable way is industrial CF cards which is usually 95% set as fixed disk.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 12 of 12, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-04-12, 23:05:

The requirement for OS to work is fixed disk bit is set in the compact flash. Without this OS will not boot or refuse to install. The consumer CF (most of them), is set as removable disk.

Most reliable way is industrial CF cards which is usually 95% set as fixed disk.

Cheers,

Thank you, much appreciated for the input.