VOGONS

First post, by Rodrik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Owner of an IBM 5162 (and many more machines) I fixed the screen and reinstall the harddisk last year, and now I took care of a floppy drive and backup battery not working.

So here is how I did this:
https://youtu.be/KUfKem9Pi1s

I spent a lot of time creating English subtitles and will try to do this more regularly so that more people can understand my videos.
Feel free to comment.

Rodrik

Reply 3 of 12, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

bro did you mix up the battery header with the speaker one?? you soldered a wire from the speaker to the battery diode

battery is meant to be connected to the 4-pin next to the keyboard

Reply 4 of 12, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rodrik wrote on 2020-04-16, 13:54:

Yes, that is fumy. I use this confinement to take each computer one by one and check/fix it before putting it back into storage.
I am probably not the only one doing this, this may be the reason.

Haha same here. I am now working on my 2 Frankenstein IBM's and my 5162 just needs a parallel/serial card when I get it back after this whole covid thingy.
Good to see more 5162's here!

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 5 of 12, by Rodrik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-04-16, 13:59:

bro did you mix up the battery header with the speaker one?? you soldered a wire from the speaker to the battery diode

battery is meant to be connected to the 4-pin next to the keyboard

Not at all, the speaker header is on the opposite side of the motherboard, I soldered the battery header I am sure 😀

Reply 6 of 12, by Rodrik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Murugan wrote on 2020-04-16, 14:02:
Rodrik wrote on 2020-04-16, 13:54:

Yes, that is fumy. I use this confinement to take each computer one by one and check/fix it before putting it back into storage.
I am probably not the only one doing this, this may be the reason.

Haha same here. I am now working on my 2 Frankenstein IBM's and my 5162 just needs a parallel/serial card when I get it back after this whole covid thingy.
Good to see more 5162's here!

Yes, they are fine machines. I just need to find a 5154 for it. I got it with the IBM EGA card and the 5151 Hercule screen and the hercule card in a box.
I also have a 5150 fully working after lot of work with an IBM CGA card and a 5153.

Reply 7 of 12, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good luck with that. I've been looking for years now for a 5154.only know one person who has it.
I have the IBM EGA but it's faulty sadly.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 8 of 12, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, that's the speaker you soldered to in the video.

unnamed.jpg
Filename
unnamed.jpg
File size
70.88 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
speaker.png
Filename
speaker.png
File size
442.61 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Untitled1.png
Filename
Untitled1.png
File size
877.21 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 9 of 12, by Rodrik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh cheat! You are right!
How could I turn the motherboard the wrong way and did not see it before?
And this also means the battery did fall into a working state without telling. I have to fix this mess.
Many thanks for pointing.

Reply 10 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't own a 5162, but I do have a 5162 motherboard that I bought as an upgrade for my 5170 upgrade project. I bought mine almost 5 years ago, but it was DOA. Last week I finally got it working by locating and patching a bad trace. I immediately upgraded to MR-BIOS for generic 286 boards. I highly recommend trying it out if you have an EEPROM programmer. I've been running Phoenix and AMI replacement BIOSes on my AT for years to avoid the setup disk, but MR-BIOS is lightyears ahead of both of those.

My ultimate goal for this system is to overclock to 12MHz. I already replaced the CPU, RAM, bus controller and clock driver with properly rated parts. The only real hurdle is ISA bus which is locked to the CPU speed. My plan is to add an ISA clock divider. I was originally just going to use some flip-flops, but it would reduce the duty cycle. It's been recommended that I use a PLL instead. Anyone know of a good 5V model in DIP package for this project?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11 of 12, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

just drive ISA with 12MHz, most cards will handle it fine

are you just using the MR BIOS generic for 286? does it have the same menus as the later 3/486 variants?

Reply 12 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my experience over 10MHz on ISA will lead to problems. I have sound and SCSI in this machine.

The MR-BIOS for generic 286 looks the same as the 386/486 versions, but obviously some of the menus are missing. For example, you can't play with memory timings.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium