VOGONS

First post, by PaddyWi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there

This is my first post here.

Right now, I am running an IBM IntelliStation E Pro with a Pentium III 1000 Mhz, 512 MB RAM, ASUS Geforce 3 Ti200 (64GB) , two 3D Monster Voodoo 2 (SLI) and a Logitech optical PS/2 mouse.
All running on Windows 98 SE installed with some instructions from this board. Since I don't own a 4: 3 CRT I am using my 16:9 EIZO and told it to show 4:3 content with black bars left and right. I set my monitor to 75 Hz but can't see any difference to 60 Hz. EIZO provides a >Windows XP driver for my monitor which I installed and seems to work.

The problem I have:
My framerate on the Windows 98 desktop and in games feels very very choppy.

On my desktop I can see screen tearing on the windows animations (moving windows and opening the startmenu). Moving my mouse in a circle is choppy too.
I also see screen tears in games like Half-Life which has VSync enabled by default running OpenGL. VSync is also enabled in the NVIDIA drivers. Changing the max_fps in Half-Life doesn't seem to change anything at all. It's 72 fps by default which should be ok. The reloading animations for example look not choppy at all but running around and looking around in a circle do.

Also changing the refresh rate of the PS/2 mouse with some tools posted here doesn't seem to change anything. I tried up to 200 Hz.

I have the feeling that either the EIZO or the graphic card seem to be the problem but can't tell why. Perhaps the EIZO interpolates or the refresh rate of 75 Hz is not right?

Can someone please help me?

Many thanks!

Reply 2 of 8, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PaddyWi wrote on 2020-04-18, 08:23:

My framerate on the Windows 98 desktop .... feels very very choppy.

Framerate on the Windows desktop? What do you mean with that?

Reply 3 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On my desktop I can see screen tearing on the windows animations (moving windows and opening the startmenu). Moving my mouse in a circle is choppy too.

Apart from using the blitter (if supported by the driver), the desktop of Win9x is not hardware-accelerated. Tearing on windows-moving is normal. That's why you normally set it to only show the outline of a window when moving it.

As for the mouse, I don't know what "choppy" is to you, since that's quite individual. On Win9x, the mouse never moves as smooth as on any NT-based Windows. That's by design of the different way their multi-tasking works. However, there are two things that can make the mouse more choppy than normal: not having the hardware-acceleration set to "full" - in this case, the mouse pointer is not drawn using the blitter and hence more choppy. Second, if the graphics driver does not even support drawing the mouse pointer using the blitter. So one thing you could try is using a different driver for your GF3. Older ones are often better.

Reply 4 of 8, by PaddyWi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2020-04-18, 11:17:

Are you using VGA or DVI?
Have you tried DOS games in pure DOS?

VGA it is. Haven't tried DOS games yet since I don't know any with mouse support. I normaly play shooters like DOOM and I played them with keyboard only the days back.

Last edited by PaddyWi on 2020-04-19, 08:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 8, by PaddyWi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-04-18, 11:42:

On Win9x, the mouse never moves as smooth as on any NT-based Windows.

Oh ok, I think I am just used to modern operation systems. But many thanks.
I installed the recommended driver for old Geforce 3 (I think 7x.xx) cards.

Reply 6 of 8, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PaddyWi wrote on 2020-04-19, 08:05:

I installed the recommended driver for old Geforce 3 (I think 7x.xx) cards.

For GeForce 3 and 4 running under Win9x, it's usually recommended to go with an older driver version like 45.23.

Not sure if that will resolve your choppiness problem, but it's worth a shot.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 8 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote on 2020-04-18, 11:42:

On Win9x, the mouse never moves as smooth as on any NT-based Windows.

Well using the tool he used (probably this one), the mouse should move as smoothly as it does in Windows NT. I've used it myself several times and it works wonderfully.

And yes, the Nvidia Driver used is way too new, an older one as suggested will work much better.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative