VOGONS

First post, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday I tried to fix a Commodore PC 40-3. The problem it was having is it kept rebooting endlessly after the initial ram check. I have another PC 40-3 so figured I would switch the power supply and see if that had any effect. As the main power supply cable to the motherboard is pretty short I was forced to fully de-assemble the faulty one. In the process I noted the Dallas RTC chip on the board (which was empty and was planned to be replaced), to check it out I popped it off and then back into its socket. Connected the power and turned on the machine, ever since the PC does not boot at all anymore. The power supply works, the lights on the case work but it gives nothing on screen and doesn't seem to do any kind of post.

After checking some pictures I came to the conclusion I reconnected the Dallas chip the wrong way. My question, as I really did not do anything else to the board, is it possible to damage the motherboard by having the RTC battery chip connected upside down? I did note the amount of pins is not the same on both sides so I am guessing that, even though the board allows you to insert it wrong, the input/outputs are not the same.

There was no visual indication something happened (no smell, sound, caps popping etc).. added some pictures, in short, is it possible or very unlikely and something else happened?

Attachments

• c4.jpg
    Filename
    c4.jpg
    File size
    127.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • c3.jpg
    Filename
    c3.jpg
    File size
    96.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • c2.jpg
    Filename
    c2.jpg
    File size
    93.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • c1.jpg
    Filename
    c1.jpg
    File size
    118.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 3 of 10, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-04-18, 11:11:

You probably just fried the Dallas chip and the system will not do anything without a working one (that's quite common).

Thanks for the reply. I have been looking around for replacements (that don't cost €20 each), are these still being produced (or something that could be used instead). I don't really want to buy "old ones" as the odds are they won't last long even if they might still work. Do you (or anyone else) know where to get some?

Reply 4 of 10, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You say you have another PC 40-3, so why don't you try the Dallas chip from that one?

They are still produced but most with a current date code are actually China fakes. Get the cheapest one you can find and crack it open to attach your own battery.

Reply 5 of 10, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Planet-Dune wrote on 2020-04-18, 11:33:

You probably just fried the Dallas chip and the system will not do anything without a working one (that's quite common).

Thanks for the reply. I have been looking around for replacements (that don't cost €20 each), are these still being produced (or something that could be used instead). I don't really want to buy "old ones" as the odds are they won't last long even if they might still work. Do you (or anyone else) know where to get some?

They are still being produced. Dallas has been bought by Maxim, but that is literally the only difference. They still use the Dallas brand name with the same white-on-black alarm clock icon.
The DS12C887+ that I bought a couple of months ago has 1933 written on it, which I interpret as 33rd week of 2019, i.e. brand new. I got it from Mouser for ~10€.

(And yes, I very strongly believe that they ship genuine parts.)

Reply 6 of 10, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Benedikt wrote on 2020-04-18, 11:47:
They are still being produced. Dallas has been bought by Maxim, but that is literally the only difference. They still use the […]
Show full quote
Planet-Dune wrote on 2020-04-18, 11:33:

They are still being produced. Dallas has been bought by Maxim, but that is literally the only difference. They still use the Dallas brand name with the same white-on-black alarm clock icon.
The DS12C887+ that I bought a couple of months ago has 1933 written on it, which I interpret as 33rd week of 2019, i.e. brand new. I got it from Mouser for ~10€.

(And yes, I very strongly believe that they ship genuine parts.)

Seems "mouser" is based in the Netherlands which is pretty close (Belgium here), but can't seem to locate the Dallas (or Maxim) DS1287 RTC chip on the site.

Reply 7 of 10, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, to quote Maxim:

The DS12885, DS12887, and DS12C887 real-time clocks (RTCs) are designed to be direct replacements for the DS1285 and DS1287.

I.e. you won't be able to get a DS1287, but a compatible substitute.
And IIRC, the Mouser I'm talking about ships everything from Texas.

Reply 8 of 10, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Benedikt wrote on 2020-04-18, 12:04:
Well, to quote Maxim: […]
Show full quote

Well, to quote Maxim:

The DS12885, DS12887, and DS12C887 real-time clocks (RTCs) are designed to be direct replacements for the DS1285 and DS1287.

I.e. you won't be able to get a DS1287, but a compatible substitute.
And IIRC, the Mouser I'm talking about ships everything from Texas.

So I guess it is one of these I need:

Attachments

Reply 9 of 10, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, and I assume that the DS12887+ is the one you need, but don't take my word for it. The datasheet will probably tell you which component it is a substitute for.

Reply 10 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your board has a CMOS clear jumper you want a 12887A or 12C887A, if your board does not have a CMOS clear jumper then a non- A variant will work just fine.

RAM Clear Function (DS12885, DS12887A, andDS12C887A)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun