MR-BIOS for C&T PEAK/DM

Topic actions

First post, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A few months ago, a huge cache of MR-BIOS ROM images was discovered:

How about a MR-BIOS ROM file repository?

Among them were many versions of MR-BIOS for the C&T PEAK/DM chipset. I have a 386 board based on this chipset. It's a Silicon Star/Abit FU340. I tried every single PEAK/DM MR-BIOS, and not a single one could detect the external cache. I really don't understand, because FU340 is a very common board with this chipset, so you'd think it would easily work. Is there anyone else on here with a 386 board with PEAK/DM that can try it out?

My board uses the B1 stepping chipset. I was testing with a 386DX-40, 8MB DRAM and 256kb cache.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 1 of 22, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the same motherboard with the same problem.
Also, there are at least two more reports out there about similar mobos and chipset.
All these early, wide format, 386 mobos are slow and clunky.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 2 of 22, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think you mean long, not wide. I actually disagree about all of them being slow and clunky. Some of the fastest ones are actually full length baby AT. AMI Mark V Baby Screamer being one. There's also a Chaintech board with SiS Rabbit chipset that's quite speedy. The FU340 is not exactly a slouch either. It benchmarks in DOOM pretty well, and it has impressive memory throughput.

Did you start any threads about your experience with the board?

Reply 4 of 22, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have managed to test one of the MR-BIOSes that were available. My motherboard has 64kB cache installed and it showed fine on BIOS screen (used V051B321 file). I'm attaching memory results from Speedsys too.

NSZAtfbt.jpg OcToLIGt.jpg

I have dumped my original AMI BIOS that came with my motherboad and it's called FU3-V8 PAGE MODE BIOS. I've compared it to other BIOS files that are available on the internet and it seems different. I'm attaching it too, maybe you'll find it useful.

Attachments

• Filename
    ami_peakdm_page_bios.zip
    File size
    38.04 KiB
    Downloads
    54 downloads
    File comment
    AMI BIOS for Peak/DM motherboard - PAGE BIOS
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 22, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

30-0200-D01247-00101111-050591-PEAKDM_B
FU3-V8 PAGE MODE BIOS

D01247 -> 1247 = Abit

if you have a FU3 V1 board, please make a picture for the wiki
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Abit_FU3_Version_1
FU3 V2 board:
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Abit_FU3_Version_2

Reply 7 of 22, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This FU3 V1/V2 thing may be different.
See, the "FU3 V1" is apparently a 386SX. I doubt a v2 would jump right to 386DX

This seems to be based on TH99. On TH99 there is a "FU3", but no "V1". Only this https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/A … ON-386-FU3.html
Meanwhile, there's a version 2 here https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/A … -FU3-VER-2.html
But then again, there's a Abit FU325/FU333/FU340 : https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/A … U333-FU340.html
And the "FU3 ver2" and "FU325/FU333/FU340" look identical.
Why is that ?

Well since I worked with TH99/Microhouse Technical Library for over a year now, I noticed that many mistakes were made, and also I recently figured out something new when I wanted to add a 486 mobo I had.

This is the 486 mobo I had, a Gemlight GMB-486SG rev 2.2.

GMB-486SG 2.2.jpg
Filename
GMB-486SG 2.2.jpg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

But looking at TH99, there's only a version "6.02" https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/G/G … G-VER-6-02.html

Now that's strange, because I haven't seen a motherboard having over SIX revisions and even by looking online I could only find boards with similar rev as mine like this one : https://allegro.pl/oferta/gemlight-gmb-486sg- … -vlb-7835075169

But then, after seeing the manual I figured it out : http://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Gemlight/ … tion%206.03.pdf

manual wrote:
GMB-486SG High Performance 486VLB Motherboard User’s Manual For GMB-486sg v2 […]
Show full quote

GMB-486SG
High Performance
486VLB
Motherboard
User’s Manual
For
GMB-486sg v2

Manual Edition 6.03

Now THAT looks close to what's in MTL/TH99 ! But it's the manual's revision, not the motherboard's !
But since they probably used manuals to create Microhouse Technical Library (I doubt they went and retro-engineered nearly 6000 motherboards), they probably made other mistakes of that kind.

TL;DR this "FU3 rev1" thing is probably a non issue and just a manual revision, not a motherboard revision.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 8 of 22, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Please post a high resolution picture of your FU3 motherboard.

I should really try setting my external cache as 64kb to see if the BIOS will pick it up. I remember Feipoa had issues getting 256kb cache to work on his FU340 with AMI BIOS.

Reply 9 of 22, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is the 486 mobo I had, a Gemlight GMB-486SG rev 2.2.

That was used in most of the machines of a client I was working at back then. I think I have all the manual revisions. I may even have noted what manual goes with what board revision.

Reply 11 of 22, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your board seems basically identical to mine, and has the same B1 stepping chipset.

Reply 13 of 22, by Joyride

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! Maybe i can help you.

Im working on a Chips PEAK/DMmotherboard right now that looks like yours.
I cant get it to boot. I have tried flashing it with AMI bios but then it wont even turn on.
Anyway i have saved my BIOS if you would like to try it out.
Here is a picture of the board and the attached bios:

Attachments

Reply 14 of 22, by Joyride

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Paar wrote on 2020-05-31, 18:25:
I have managed to test one of the MR-BIOSes that were available. My motherboard has 64kB cache installed and it showed fine on B […]
Show full quote

I have managed to test one of the MR-BIOSes that were available. My motherboard has 64kB cache installed and it showed fine on BIOS screen (used V051B321 file). I'm attaching memory results from Speedsys too.

NSZAtfbt.jpg OcToLIGt.jpg

I have dumped my original AMI BIOS that came with my motherboad and it's called FU3-V8 PAGE MODE BIOS. I've compared it to other BIOS files that are available on the internet and it seems different. I'm attaching it too, maybe you'll find it useful.

Hi! Is it possible for you to share the MR BIOS V051B321 file? I cant find it anywhere.

Best regards /Rickard

Reply 17 of 22, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you confirm the external cache is functional?

Reply 18 of 22, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, 64K has never been an issue on this chipset. Try 256K and see if a) it is detected, b) it actually works by increasing benchmark scores.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 19 of 22, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

256kb works fine on my board with AMIBIOS and C&T BIOS. But, it is not detected with MR-BIOS. I can't remember if I tried 64kb setting with MR, but I am pretty sure I did.