VOGONS

First post, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've seen reports of people running Windows 98SE off of Socket 775 board with Pentium 4s but they usually have board with AGP slots. I have an Intel D945PSN board with a Prescott Pentium 4 HT 640, 2x1GB sticks of DDR2 ram and I'm wondering if that board will still work. I don't have any pcie cards that will work with win9x but I have a Geforce MX4000 PCI card that will work. The only thing I'd need is a hard drive (I have an 80GB SATA drive but maybe I should get a CF2IDE or SD2IDE) and maybe a power supply (if the one I have for it doesn't work). I realize such a system would be unbalanced, but the point is to have a win9x machine that is cheap to put together. Also if there is any chance to get a cheap KVM switch so the same USB keyboard and USB mouse could be used with two systems that would be nice as well (I have multiple inputs on my monitor so I am good there)

Reply 1 of 4, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not worth the headache unless your targeting late dos games. I have a k6-3 for those. I moved my Athlon 700 to 2k just because 98se and Me kept screwing up every 3-4 months. On 2k now, the games I was playing before still work, buts stable now.

Reply 2 of 4, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote on 2020-04-23, 00:35:

It's not worth the headache unless your targeting late dos games. I have a k6-3 for those. I moved my Athlon 700 to 2k just because 98se and Me kept screwing up every 3-4 months. On 2k now, the games I was playing before still work, buts stable now.

I guess that's true but Windows 2000 isn't nostalgic to me.

Reply 3 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote on 2020-04-23, 00:35:

I agree ! A soc775 is too much machine for Win9x. Not that it you can't make it run but will be unstable in various ways, if not soon it will be later.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would I recommend the hardware? no
but as you already own the hardware may as well give it a try, what you got to loose?
Just don't sink any money into it