VOGONS

First post, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello

I am formatting a few hundred "unknown" size 5.25" floppies. However I am running into something weird.. When I started most were 360kb (or a little less with bad sectors) but then it "switched" to 180kb (or less with bad sectors), I figured that was just because the floppy was a different format and pressed on. About 2 to 300 floppies later I decided to take a break and come back the next day. I was getting 360's right away which seemed odd to me.. after a couple of 360 it was a 180 again and then all 180's.. I then decided to reboot to test and reformatted the last 180 and suddenly it was a 360.. what is happening?

Things I notice:
I am using format.com in MSDos 3.30 (just the "format a:" command, no parameters)
When it does a 360 it goes slower
When it does a 360 the format status text changes all the time between "head 0" and "head 1", when it does a 180 it only displays "head 0"

In short, it seems to switch from 360 to 180 but once it is there it never switches back unless I do a full reboot.. now this is very annoying and slows me down a lot if I need to reboot every time (especially since the system has no HDD so I need to insert the MSDos 3.30 floppy everytime and then switch again to the to-format floppy).

Anyone know why this is happening and how to fix this? The worst part is this makes me doubt all those hundreds of 180's I formatted so far … well maybe a lot of those are 360 and I will need to start all over 🙁

Reply 1 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Diagnose your computer first. By replace the floppy drive with another 360K drive. Do not use 1.2MB drive. If no change, replace the multi-i/o card or floppy controller.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 16, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

180 KB is the capacity of single sided double density disks. Are you sure your disks are double sided?

(I have a box of Parrot single sided disks which I bought as a curiosity, as I had never seen single sided disks.)

Last edited by Errius on 2020-04-23, 13:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 3 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Logical answer. You know that by now. 180K is half a 360K and how do you do that by cylinders or heads? The logical answer is latter. 😀

By the way, XT can do 720K 3.5" on same XT controller no problem as it can spin same sectors as 180K and 360K do and double the tracks from 40 to 80. Simply boot a later DOS version and use 720K drive instead. Even can use 1.44M drive as 720K drive. More plentiful.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 5 of 16, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you just use "format a:" the format program checks the existing disk format and reuses it. It is possible to format a DSDD disk as SSDD. If you add "/u" to the end of your format command (format a: /u) it will ignore the existing format and format them at the full capacity of the drive.

Reply 7 of 16, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-04-23, 03:05:

When you just use "format a:" the format program checks the existing disk format and reuses it. It is possible to format a DSDD disk as SSDD. If you add "/u" to the end of your format command (format a: /u) it will ignore the existing format and format them at the full capacity of the drive.

That does not explain why a "format a:" would format it as 180 and then just a reboot later the same "format a:" formats it as 360. If it would just be the fact I have multiple sized floppies that would be a-ok. The issue comes that this weird thing is happening where it formats them as 360 at first but as soon as it goes to 180 it doesn't go back to 360 even if, as I suspect the media is 360.. unless I reboot..

EDIT: I do not need to reboot, just saying "no" to the "do you wish to format another" question and then retyping "format a:" also seems to "reset" the state so he actually checks and goes back to 360 if possible.

Reply 8 of 16, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Simply use parameters to tell format.com the size of the disks. Unlike with DD and HD, there's no reliable way for the floppy drive to report back to format.com whether a DD disk is SS or DS. Getting random results with the same disk isn't unusual, that's why the /F: parameter is there after all.

Reply 10 of 16, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2020-04-23, 13:18:

I hope you know that these don't work for PCs (index hole, you can't flip the disk) and have nothing to do with that anyway.

Reply 12 of 16, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-04-23, 11:04:

Simply use parameters to tell format.com the size of the disks. Unlike with DD and HD, there's no reliable way for the floppy drive to report back to format.com whether a DD disk is SS or DS. Getting random results with the same disk isn't unusual, that's why the /F: parameter is there after all.

Problem with this, how do I know what is the right parameter? I have 100's of floppies, no labels on them to tell me anything. I can recognise the 1.2mb ones because there is no "hub ring" but I have no clue how to visually see the difference between a 180 and a 360 floppy.

Reply 13 of 16, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can assume that every DD disk you have is a 360KB one. Even those used back then for single-sided floppy drives (Atari, C64, etc.) where 360KB DS, that's why you could format both sides.

If you ever come across a real SS disk, you'll see immediately, because one of the sides has no coating and looks quite different.

Reply 14 of 16, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-04-23, 13:39:

You can assume that every DD disk you have is a 360KB one. Even those used back then for single-sided floppy drives (Atari, C64, etc.) where 360KB DS, that's why you could format both sides.

If you ever come across a real SS disk, you'll see immediately, because one of the sides has no coating and looks quite different.

Thanks! That's good info.

Reply 16 of 16, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He probably bought them in bulk on fleabay and wants to test them all before putting data on them.

That reminds me, formatting so many disks - undoubtedly including some bad quality ones with deteriorating media - will make a mess of your drive's heads. The OP should gently wipe the heads with a lint-free cloth or brush to clear off any accumulated residue. Use Iso alcohol and distilled water. Care must be taken however not to knock the heads out of alignment.

You also should inspect each disk before putting it the drive. Turn the media all the way around to make sure there's no dirt or mold. Also make sure there isn't too much friction between the media and the casing - that may damage the drive motor.

Is this too much voodoo?