VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I am trying to use an Asus P2B with a Pentium II 350Mhz. I was going to slap a Pentium III on there and turn it into a Dos/WFW/Win98 box using Moslo Deluxe. However, I may need to replace the board with another.

Whenever I connect a Gravis Phoenix or Flightstick Pro/Throttle/Rudder using the keyboard passthrough, the PC locks up either during the post process, or when I get to my multi-config.sys. I did have to change settings in the bios in order to use my AWE32 due to ISA issues, though I can't think of any settings in the bios related to keyboard resources.

The ultimate Dos/WFW/Win98 machine needs to be able to utilize a joystick with programmable keys. Does anyone have any ideas? I do have a another Slot 1 motherboard here, but it has been in storage for years, and then the work of taking everything and putting it on the alternate board...

Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 3, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks as though the board can't handle the ps/2 extension cable, and I tried two different cables, one of which was brand new. The extension worked in my Pentium 133Mhz system, but the P2B can't handle the extra length for some reason. I may just grab a mobo/cpu off of ebay that is newer, since I also want to use a large hard drive and I don't know if this board can handle those either.

Reply 2 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What BIOS version you got? long shot but maybe BIOS 1014.003 will resolve it?
What mother board revision is it? Pre 1.06 had various issues but that was more like support for CPU's ACPI, etc I don't remember anything about the game port

Hard drive you'll be limited to 120GB. That's a limit of the BX chipset rather then the motherboard itself (P2B is one of the best supported as well)
You can get PCI IDE or even better SATA cards if you need to go bigger.

Slightly off topic anyone save a copy of the "complete P2B/P3B guide" that used to be found below. That was an awesome resource, didn't know it went offline
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_p … pgrade_faq.html

Reply 3 of 3, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2020-04-24, 08:59:
What BIOS version you got? long shot but maybe BIOS 1014.003 will resolve it? What mother board revision is it? Pre 1.06 had var […]
Show full quote

What BIOS version you got? long shot but maybe BIOS 1014.003 will resolve it?
What mother board revision is it? Pre 1.06 had various issues but that was more like support for CPU's ACPI, etc I don't remember anything about the game port

Hard drive you'll be limited to 120GB. That's a limit of the BX chipset rather then the motherboard itself (P2B is one of the best supported as well)
You can get PCI IDE or even better SATA cards if you need to go bigger.

Slightly off topic anyone save a copy of the "complete P2B/P3B guide" that used to be found below. That was an awesome resource, didn't know it went offline
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_p … pgrade_faq.html

I will check out the bios today. It would be cheaper if I only had to buy a P II CPU rather than a mobo/cpu, and a lot less work..

The cable length issue is strange. It is almost like the P2B doesn't send enough power over the PS/2 port...