VOGONS

First post, by Ritchoau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i picked up a Olivetti PCS86 not long ago and iv been trying to get the mouse to work with no luck atm

its a PS2 and i tried the ones i have here with the CuteMouse driver with no luck

it has Framework 3 on it which shows a mouse dot after installing the drivers but the mouse doesn't respond

i came across this site which said that the mouse cant have a mouse wheel
to be honest a lot of the stuff here is a bit above my pay grade
https://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/pcs86.html

i then bought a Microsoft mouse 2.1a hopping that might fix it thinking it might be detecting the mice i have and still no luck.
iv tried a bunch of different mouse drivers with the same results
dose anyone know anything about these XTclones or know how to get the mice to work?

any help would be awesome since this is doing in my head as to why it doesn't want to play ball

Reply 1 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are multiples branches of Cutemouse , did you try all of them ?

http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/

V1.9 branch uses BIOS to handle PS/2 mice.
V2.0 branch uses direct hardware access for PS/2 mice, and supports the wheel.
V2.1 branch uses BIOS to handle PS/2 mice but also supports the wheel, combining the best of V1.9 and V2.0. Wheel programming info is included in the v2.x packages.

Reply 2 of 10, by Ritchoau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah i did, and i just did it again to make sure
i also tried the /p command this time around to see if it would pick it up but it just says Could not find device.

if i just run ctmouse it loads it to the com port 1 but the mouse dose not respond. it only has one serial port on the back so im assuming its loaded to that.

i want to run a printer and the mouse which means using the com port will be a pain having to swap out from printer to mouse all the time.

kinda lost as to why it dosnt work.

the port works since you can interchange the keyboard into the mouse port but it just wont come to the party and detect the mouse

Reply 3 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PS2 ports are not typically interchangeable maybe this is confusing cutemouse or needs a special driver?

quick google for Olivetti mouse driver came up with this post that has 2 downloads.
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?507 … rd-mouse-driver

Reply 4 of 10, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From the link you posted above:

Though the PCS86 is an XT, it uses the AT keyboard interface and protocol. However, the controller at the PC end doesn't use the same I/O ports as an AT keyboard controller. Instead, the two PS/2 ports use the I/O range 66h-6Ah.

You need the Olivetti driver for the mouse to work. Generic drivers won't find the mouse, because they probe the standard AT port i/o range.

Reply 5 of 10, by Ritchoau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replys

I tried the m24 driver you linked with no luck..

I had seen the I/O range part of that sight and had hoped either someone either has the driver or knows where to find it becouse im having no luck.

But thanks for taking the time to try and help

Reply 6 of 10, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some time ago, I dumped a copy of the three disks included with this system, it was uploaded on this site. That are the disks of a spanish Olivetti PCS86.

I don't remember the contents, but maybe you can find the mouse driver there.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 8 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the only issue is the port address range, maybe someone who knows more than I do could try to change the port address range in the cutemouse source and recompile .

I tried and failed miserably (executable crashes instead of not find a PS/2 mouse) .

Reply 9 of 10, by Ritchoau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

iv managed to get a mouse working.

i found a old logitech PS2 mouse in the Garage, it looked the same as some of the images i saw of Olivetti branded mice so i thought i would download the Logitech drivers and give it a go and BOOM detected the mouse right off the bat.

i tried to get it to detect the other two mice i have one is generic and other one is a Microsoft one but it wouldn't detect them at all.

i think it might have something to do with the way the ID is set up like it mentioned in the website i posted in my original post .

either way it seems to working now which is made me very happy since this has been doing my head in trying to fix it.

thanks for the help though!

Reply 10 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ritchoau wrote on 2020-04-26, 04:45:
iv managed to get a mouse working. […]
Show full quote

iv managed to get a mouse working.

i found a old logitech PS2 mouse in the Garage, it looked the same as some of the images i saw of Olivetti branded mice so i thought i would download the Logitech drivers and give it a go and BOOM detected the mouse right off the bat.

i tried to get it to detect the other two mice i have one is generic and other one is a Microsoft one but it wouldn't detect them at all.

i think it might have something to do with the way the ID is set up like it mentioned in the website i posted in my original post .

either way it seems to working now which is made me very happy since this has been doing my head in trying to fix it.

thanks for the help though!

Wow, that machine is picky. Glad you found a solution .