VOGONS

First post, by ninevapor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone! I've been lurking on here for a while, and there's quite a lot of good information that's saved me a number of times. Today i'm actually making an account!

A week or two ago, I bought a PcChips M918i on eBay from Thailand.
z0EZ6mT.jpg
(the DX2 is in there just for testing)

I found out later in the jumper manual on this site (http://www.elhvb.com/webhq/models/486pci/m918i.htm) that I need a BIOS dated 1/1/96 (V1.2A) or 12/28/95 (V3.0A) to support the 133MHz AMD chip.

Much to my dismay I got this upon testing the board:
hVNqTFt.png
I tried the 133MHz chip anyway with the config it shows in the jumper manual and it didn't post.

Anyone have an updated BIOS for this board they could dump for me? I have no problems with buying an EEPROM programmer and whatever I need to erase the current chip, or just buying a new chip altogether so I can keep the old one as a backup. I've looked around and it looks like this ALi chipset is rare and i'm worried I bought the wrong board for this project i'm doing.

Reply 1 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Same website, just in a different spot : http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/PcChips … m918/index.html
A bios from december 1996 😉

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 16, by ninevapor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2020-04-24, 23:25:

Same website, just in a different spot : http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/PcChips … m918/index.html
A bios from december 1996 😉

Thank you so much! I peeled the label off the chip and found that it was a 27C1000PC-15. Doesn't look erasable, so what EEPROM could I look into getting to replace this? I did a bit of googling and it seems if i can find something that has the same pinout and is 128k i'm good, but I just want to make sure before buying anything. This is the first time i've done anything like this.

Reply 5 of 16, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ninevapor wrote on 2020-04-25, 04:49:

Thank you so much! I peeled the label off the chip and found that it was a 27C1000PC-15. Doesn't look erasable, so what EEPROM could I look into getting to replace this? I did a bit of googling and it seems if i can find something that has the same pinout and is 128k i'm good, but I just want to make sure before buying anything. This is the first time i've done anything like this.

Probably you are right. If you don't want to program chip in circuit, just buy any 128kx8 flash - SST29ee010 or P28F001 or W29EE011 ...
On some older motherboards there are jumpers to set up EEPROM programming Voltage, but if you have external programmer it doesn't matter.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 6 of 16, by ninevapor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zyga64 wrote on 2020-04-25, 06:45:
ninevapor wrote on 2020-04-25, 04:49:

Probably you are right. If you don't want to program chip in circuit, just buy any 128kx8 flash - SST29ee010 or P28F001 or W29EE011 ...
On some older motherboards there are jumpers to set up EEPROM programming Voltage, but if you have external programmer it doesn't matter.

Alright, I just bought a XGecu TL866II Plus with some W29EE011-15 proms. I'll see how this goes in a week or so when I get them in. Thanks for the help!

Reply 7 of 16, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This board has crummy L2 cache performance. Has anyone bothered to see how another brands BIOS performs on this board?

ninevapor> can you post your Speedsys screenshot?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 8 of 16, by ninevapor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2020-04-25, 23:07:

This board has crummy L2 cache performance. Has anyone bothered to see how another brands BIOS performs on this board?

ninevapor> can you post your Speedsys screenshot?

L7oraym.png

Took me a while to get it, a few of my compactflash cards didn't agree with my system. Plus, I think the floppy interface on the board is dead. I've tried using a gotek emulator, a Panasonic 3.5" fdd, and a Mitsubishi 5.25" fdd, all didn't work or even light up.

I used VMWare to install DOS on the compactflash card before booting it with the cf-ide adaptor on the board. Now that it's working, its pretty easy to move files onto the CF card but wow, that was a pain.

Reply 9 of 16, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks a lot. On my board, I didn't see any drop at the L2 cut-off level. I had 1024K installed though. Perhaps there is some bug with more cache installed.

Yeah, it is getting pretty common to have 486 boards without a working diskette controller.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 10 of 16, by ninevapor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the programmer, got the new BIOS working. 5x86-133 working great!

Only issue though, it won't accept any more than 128mb of RAM. I tried two different sets of FPM simms, one with parity, one without, and neither will show more than 128mb. Both sets are 4x64mb.
In the documentation from elhvb it says the max on this board is 256mb so i'm a bit confused. I looked through the setup to see if there was something I needed to enable, I looked through all the jumper settings too.

Thank you all for the help!

Reply 12 of 16, by Starej_Mraf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2020-04-27, 03:42:

Thanks a lot. On my board, I didn't see any drop at the L2 cut-off level. I had 1024K installed though. Perhaps there is some bug with more cache installed.

Yeah, it is getting pretty common to have 486 boards without a working diskette controller.

With EDO DRAM there is no drop at the L2 cut-off level. With FPM there is visible drop.

One of Founding Fathers of the OldComp.cz

Reply 13 of 16, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Starej_Mraf wrote on 2024-03-17, 18:20:
feipoa wrote on 2020-04-27, 03:42:

With EDO DRAM there is no drop at the L2 cut-off level. With FPM there is visible drop.

Screenshots?

Reply 15 of 16, by Starej_Mraf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, here it is.

EDO

AMD80EDO.gif
Filename
AMD80EDO.gif
File size
13.4 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
image0.jpeg
Filename
image0.jpeg
File size
76.32 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Hm, it seems that there is very faaast EDO or very slow cache 😀

FPM

AMD80FPM.gif
Filename
AMD80FPM.gif
File size
13.41 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
image1.jpeg
Filename
image1.jpeg
File size
71.98 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
image2.jpeg
Filename
image2.jpeg
File size
79.32 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Here you can see speed drop after 256k. Sorry I don't have any 128k x 8 SRAM modules for 1MB test.

One of Founding Fathers of the OldComp.cz

Reply 16 of 16, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Starej_Mraf wrote on 2024-03-18, 17:55:
Ok, here it is. […]
Show full quote

Ok, here it is.

EDO
AMD80EDO.gif
image0.jpeg

Hm, it seems that there is very faaast EDO or very slow cache 😀

FPM
AMD80FPM.gif
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

Here you can see speed drop after 256k. Sorry I don't have any 128k x 8 SRAM modules for 1MB test.

Thx.
I would not say that there is no speed drop with EDO, but speedsys somehow sees no drop in "read performance". And then it thinks there is no L2 cache. Cachechk has more realistic values
But you can see clearly that there is a speed-drop in moving also in speedsys, so definitely L2 cache is still doing something.
But yes the difference between RAM performance and cache seems to be small.