VOGONS

First post, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am reorganizing my room and got to many apples, need to get rid of at least 1 out of the following options: (see screenshots)

Which one(s) and why would you choose? (all are tested and working)

Option1
PowerPC 5500/225

Option2
PowerPC G3

Option4
PowerPC 8600/250

(option 3 in second post, only 5 image attachments/post allowed)

Attachments

Last edited by Planet-Dune on 2020-04-26, 13:13. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Option 3 images

Option 3
PowerPC 7300/166

Attachments

Reply 2 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Vogons is not a marketplace, you can give them away but sale or trade is not allowed.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not really a mac guy but do own a G4 MMD to try out mac equivalent of dos games one day.
As I understand it the PowerPC G3 is about as late as you can go with good comparability for classic OS games so would keep it for that reason.

Don't know enough about the others to make an educated comment.

Edit, I thought OP is basically asking which ones he should keep, not offering "the reject" to anyone

Reply 4 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about this, that's why I didn't close the thread 😀
I should have clarified that it needs clarification 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 13, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey, sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I am indeed not selling or offering here. I am just trying to decide which of these I want to let go and hearing other opinions, especially the "why" is interesting to make that decision.

Reply 6 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the G3 still compatible with OS 9? That seems to be the obvious choice.

But really, you should just keep the one you actually plan to use, or that is compatible with games you actually want to play (and that you weren't going to run using some other system).

If there is no such software and these are just going to collect dust in a corner somewhere, then quietly thank each unit for its service and send it on its way.

Reply 7 of 13, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Personally I would keep the G3 Desktop at least... admittedly it's one I have as well.

It will run OS9, early OSX, and pretty much any early PowerPC software, so it's decently flexible.

Reply 9 of 13, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a tough one, the G3 is the most powerful of those but the others are more interesting from a retro perspective.

If I had to drop just one of those it'd probably be either the G3 or the 7300. If you don't have any other G3 Macs, then get rid of the 7300 - this is assuming it doesn't have any interesting extra hardware inside that you haven't mentioned.

Reply 10 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote on 2020-04-26, 17:26:

Is the G3 still compatible with OS 9? That seems to be the obvious choice.

G4 is the final OS9 compatible Mac but I think some of the really old stuff is no longer compatible
G3 can kind of support OSX but really is a OS9/OS8 machine which is why I think the compatibility is even better.

...and that's just about all my retro mac knowledge used up.

Reply 11 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote on 2020-04-26, 18:05:

G4 is the final OS9 compatible Mac but I think some of the really old stuff is no longer compatible

+1

At least some models, like the Gigabit Lan, can boot fully into native OS 9.x.
They also can run OS X 10.4.11 (last to feature Classic Environment) and 10.5 (needs utility).

The mirrored drive door models, however, can't run OS9 by comparison.
Not withouth some patched OS 9, at least (the community works on gettings support for such models).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 13, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like that powermac 5500. Looks like you have your choice of system 7~9, plus i always have been partial to the all in one design. Do you have matching monitors for the other macs? That would affect my decision personally so the one or two i kept would look period correct.