VOGONS

First post, by mjnman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I found and old microsoft sidewinder force feedback wheel with gameport.
Can I use in dos environment?...I don't care about force feedback features
I tried with Screamer rally but recognize only joystick and I couldn't set the buttons

Reply 3 of 5, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can, however, try to run your DOS game from a DOS Prompt within Windows.
Provided the game runs fine like this (most late era DOS games do), it should then work with the wheel.

However, if the game wasn't written to support any gaming wheels, I'm not quite sure how it will react to inputs received from the wheel.

Reply 4 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, that doesn't work either. These are using MIDI to talk to the system, the analog ports are not used at all, and there's also not emulation of that in a DOS session within Windows, sadly.

I own all the MS Sidewinder controllers and only the 3D works in DOS. The gamepad should actually as well, but didn't work for me when I tried.

Reply 5 of 5, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-04-27, 07:47:

No, that doesn't work either. These are using MIDI to talk to the system, the analog ports are not used at all, and there's also not emulation of that in a DOS session within Windows, sadly.

I own all the MS Sidewinder controllers and only the 3D works in DOS. The gamepad should actually as well, but didn't work for me when I tried.

the Sidewinder gamepad also doesn't work in DOS, in fact it'll screw with midi sound if connected(found that out yesterday... "why is my midi not working wtf is going on here" left sidewinder pad hooked up...doh!).

The original Sidewinder Stick (non 3D) will work in DOS as it's just analogue a few buttons and some pots, but not the gamepads.

There may be a way to translate the functions via arduino or teensy or something similar.

However the Screamer games actually play really well via Keyboard, especially Screamer Rally.