VOGONS

First post, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No questions here at the moment. I will post how I try to get my Commodore PC-10 XT split-board(s) running, PCB-ASSY 380000-01. I got it within this lot...:
Bought these (retro) hardware today
CPU board:

IMG_8922r.jpg
Filename
IMG_8922r.jpg
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_8939r.jpg
Filename
IMG_8939r.jpg
File size
1.3 MiB
Views
File license

ISA/PSU board:

IMG_8924r.jpg
Filename
IMG_8924r.jpg
File size
1.52 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_8927r.jpg
Filename
IMG_8927r.jpg
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File license

Somebody did some soldering practice on the CPU-board and some parts are missing. The 2nd RAM-bank also looks like a bad diy work but will care about this at the end.
The ISA/PSU board looks OK and complete.

Missing parts in green circles:

IMG_8922r-misspartr.jpg
Filename
IMG_8922r-misspartr.jpg
File size
439.85 KiB
Views
File license

I have found some photos of the complete boards here:
https://oldcomputer.info/gallery.php?spgmGal= … =20#spgmPicture

Technical refrence is here, parts list on p83:
http://dostalgie.de/downloads/pc10-20-10II-20 … ODORE_EN_DE.pdf

So I need:
Q1: OSC 14.318 MHz
C1 / C4: Electr. cap 25V or 16V / 47µF
C44 / C45 / C53 / C54 / C67 / C70 / C75: Radial ceramic cap 104 (0.1 µ / 50 V)
U53: DM74LS02N
Cap U47: (A9) 330pF cap between Pin 7 and Pin 10 of U47 (p60)
Cap U75: not required?

Hope I have all parts in spare.

Reply 2 of 59, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I now straightened all pins and added most of the missing components on the CPU-board. Soldered a socket for the 74LS02 but didnt have one in spare and ordered some. Also noticed the trimmer is damaged. Desoldered it and ordered a new one.

Today also my PC-10 III case with a matching PSU arrived:
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Therefore that was a good chance to give it a 1st test without the need to add an AT-PSU-Adapter: Already looking very good!
- CLK is there.
- RST goes off after putting a 10 pF cap in the trigger mounting holes
- No display on post card but no surpise on a XT
- ...but 12V is missing.
Whats the reason? Now I noticed the VRM on the ISA/PSU board is missing, too. According to the manual it is a 7905. Will take a look if I find a card to take one from...shouldnt be required for operation.

Very helpful to have the circuit drawings available!

Next test will be with Supersoft and Speaker...

Reply 3 of 59, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That sounds like great progress! Very happy to see this on the way back from butchering!

Btw., just in case you're looking for proper connectors for these Commodore (as I saw some extra connectors here: download/file.php?id=81042&mode=view) :
Mouser is still selling the proper plugs as 538-50-84-1060 (needing pins ordered separately). This is just because I had a PC10 PSU with an intermittend fault in the fully encapsulated transformer which made it unfixable for me and been looking for an alternative (ended up with a 12V ATX mini PSU and this plug).

Also hope you saw the bent pins on the underside auf the PSU/ISA board (on the ISA path)... 😀

Crossing my fingers for a quick fix now and thanks for updating this thread!

Reply 4 of 59, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hehe, indeed I mounted this extra connector on the PC10-III board for testing purposes. It was easy as the needed pins are on the top of the PCB. This is not the case for this board so I am happy to have the PSU available.

Good to know the connectors are still available, but the moment I dont need them. Price seems to be OK, maybe with my next order...

No, didnt notice notice the ISA-Pins so far 🙁 Thanks! Didnt have much time today and overlooked it as I focussed on the CPU-board...shit!

Reply 5 of 59, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

7905 is LM7905 regulator IC with 3 terminals. Drops -12V to -5V with some heat, used for ISA slots, audio card, serial ports and some specific cards use these -5V and -12V. For now, see if you -12V working first then install 7905 IC regulator.

Do you have -12V supply working from your PSU?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 6 of 59, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are right, its the -5 V thats not working. I dont have a replacement but this doesnt matter at the moment.

Soldered a new trigger, straightened the forgotten Pins and powered on with a Supersoft-ROM, but nothing more happens. Reset goes off after part of a second, the other LEDs stay on. Hope this will change after installing the 74LS02 I am waiting for - dont know what this is needed for.

Reply 7 of 59, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes get the 74LS02, make sure you are using correct one due to speed and LS, F etc?

Are you getting -12V? Is power good go active or go low or high certain delay after voltage comes on? May need dual input scope to check. Make sure clocks are running.

Some XT might be more advanced needs CMOS battery installed. Just throwing nuts out.

Cheers,

Reply 9 of 59, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I managed to find a74LS02 on a scrap board. Desoldered and tested in the Commodore:

DSC_0016r.jpg
Filename
DSC_0016r.jpg
File size
191.53 KiB
Views
File license

😀

Its alive! But no idea where to continue at the moment...

Reply 11 of 59, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thats how it currently looks like.

I tried different RAM configurations (4164/41256) to see if something in the RAM error pattern of Supersoft changes, but it stays the same.
Will take a closer look if there are shorts left (better do it with a photo...). Next I will check if all ICs get their supply voltage...

More suggestions are welcome 😉

IMG_9031r.jpg
Filename
IMG_9031r.jpg
File size
1.21 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_9032r.jpg
Filename
IMG_9032r.jpg
File size
1.4 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_9033r.jpg
Filename
IMG_9033r.jpg
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_9034r.jpg
Filename
IMG_9034r.jpg
File size
1.17 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 13 of 59, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just two things, which are hard to tell from the picture:
the capacitor over U14 - is it maybe touching other pins?
the ISA slot (JA/JB 11) - are the bent pins inside still separated or maybe touching?

Also, just for curiosity: what exactly are the remaining problems? Can't really tell much from the grainy picture 😁

Reply 15 of 59, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will check this tomorrow, thanks!

I think the grainy picture itself is also a problem - that CGA card is not that bad in other PCs.
This is what the output looks like:
download/file.php?id=62587&mode=view
So the words with the grey background mean "failed": Timer, DMA, Memory.

Reply 16 of 59, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the CGA card happened to derive an (unstable) frequency from the MB, maybe that could result in such a picture? I have to admit - I haven't seen such a failure mode from a graphics card, yet, but do you have a frequency tester for the crystal near the timer IC (next to the CPU)?

Also, on the underside, in that area, there also is a connection that might be severed (by corrosion?) - at least it does look rusty exactly near the crystal's leg, if I am not mistaken?:

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    Filename
    c1.jpg
    File size
    94.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 17 of 59, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

this is the missing -5V voltage regulator I assume?
what does that transistor T1 do there? maybe -5V is needed somewhere on the board after all, even though it seems to be on the input side?

c10.jpg
Filename
c10.jpg
File size
56.68 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 18 of 59, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had funny issue with atom board once and it was missing voltage input from power supply on motherboard.

Please install 7905 regulator and see if that helps.

Cheers,

Reply 19 of 59, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I checked all your observation, thanks for that!

MJay99:
- the capacitor over U14 - is it maybe touching other pins?

That one is totally OK

- the ISA slot (JA/JB 11) - are the bent pins inside still separated or maybe touching?
Also looks like that on the photo but is also OK. I inserted the POST card into that slot to prevent the pins are touching each other.

- Also, C74 might be shorted - at least looking from here....?
Indeed, this one was not looking good. I straightened the Pin.

- Also, on the underside, in that area, there also is a connection that might be severed (by corrosion?) - at least it does look rusty exactly near the crystal's leg, if I am not mistaken?:
I checked this one for connectivity and its OK.

imi:
this is the missing -5V voltage regulator I assume? what does that transistor T1 do there? maybe -5V is needed somewhere on the board after all, even though it seems to be on the input side?

Yes. thats the missing voltage regulator. For the T1...I dont have that much knowledge. You can see that part on page 18, bottom right, of the diagram
http://dostalgie.de/downloads/pc10-20-10II-20 … ODORE_EN_DE.pdf

I will now fix that broken trace on the bottom and expect it to have an effect. I will decide about ordering the regulator afterwards...

Thanks again! 😀