VOGONS

First post, by eduedu_123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I hope you are all having a good time during this quarantine 😀
For years I have been using a Pentium II + Voodoo 3 3000 AGP + AWE 64 Gold as my main retro machine to play ms dos games and early windows 95/98 games (not really demanding ones), I'm very satisfied with this rig.
But now I decided to move to a Super Socket 7 with a Pentium MMX, the reason: I prefer to get more compatibility with speed sensitive games (MMX has a lot of parameters on SetMul) than to have a more powerful cpu (Pentium II is very very limitted in this sense, stock speed or slow 386 dissabling caches, there is no middle point).

So I found on ebay a "PC Partner MVP3BS7-954" for a good price, it's a Super Socket 7 with VIA MVP3 chipset.
I was very exited cause the official PC Partner web site stills alive and it's very well documented, I found very easily all the drivers, bios updates and manual.
The problem I found is that some people point the Voodoo 3 3000 AGP is not compatible with some Super Socket 7 mobos 🙁
Reasons I found:
- I need a more powerful PSU (that's not a problem today) .
-The card is too power demanding for the motherboard, AGP slot wasn't designed to draw that power.
- Some mobos that uses the VIA MVP3 chipset makes the computer to freeze when sending requests to the card overloading its buffer (this confuses me).

So do you know if this motherboard is compatible with a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (the one with an S-Video output)??
If someone have this 2 components can you try them for me please?
I read that it's not enough to power on the pc or booting windows, you need to play a game some minutes to see if the system hangs or not.

On this Vogons thread the OP says it doesn't work, some users agree, others said it works perfectly with MVP3 chipset, I'm confused

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=45711

"SS7 boards (VIA chipsets in particular) are pretty well known to be picky/flakey with AGP. Back in the day, I ran a SS7 Gainward 5VPA (VIA MVP3 chipset) and it would NOT work with a brand new Voodoo3 3000 (I ended up buying the PCI version of the card)."

A post form 2002

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads ... 876686/

"My power supply is 250W, and is ATX (though the motherboard is AT, not ATX).
The system reboots even when viewing a web page with Internet Explorer...(about ten minutes).
Some people said me that MVP3 chipset makes requests to the Voodoo3, and the video card doesn't manage these requests properly, overloading the Voodoo3 buffer, and for that, the video card leave operating normally.
The system reboots or hangs up even in Fail-Safe mode of Windows... I have no IRQ conflicts. I have only one PCI card (a Sound Blaster card) and it's far from the AGP slot"