VOGONS

First post, by wackoreese

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I decided to read the BIOS chip on my ELI6-II board with my USB programmer. The upper 64K of the chip contains the standard BIOS routines, however the lower 64K of the chip contains a VGA BIOS for "Cirrus Logic L-GD542X". Is there a reason it's in the motherboard BIOS despite no onboard graphics? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Reply 1 of 9, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One possibility is that the same BIOS was also used in a similar model that actually had a Cirrus Logic CL-GD542X chipset on-board.
In the case of your motherboard, that part of the BIOS setup menu is perhaps just disabled, since there isn't an on-board VGA graphics card.

Reply 3 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wackoreese wrote on 2020-05-02, 22:47:

I decided to read the BIOS chip on my ELI6-II board with my USB programmer. The upper 64K of the chip contains the standard BIOS routines, however the lower 64K of the chip contains a VGA BIOS for "Cirrus Logic L-GD542X". Is there a reason it's in the motherboard BIOS despite no onboard graphics? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I have one of those boards too. Will have to check the BIOS and check it. Curious if you got yours as a complete computer ? I did and it has a Cirrus GD5428 VLB card in it made by FIC who also made the ELI6-II board for Unisys Corp for their ELI 46665 desktop computers. You can see the BIOS I saved here: Re: 80486 BIOS image collection

edit: Also I added some info to another thread a while ago, about same board here: Re: Does anybody recognize this Socket 3 motherboard?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 9, by wackoreese

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-05-02, 23:09:

I have one of those boards too. Will have to check the BIOS and check it. Curious if you got yours as a complete computer ? I did and it has a Cirrus GD5428 VLB card in it made by FIC who also made the ELI6-II board for Unisys Corp for their ELI 46665 desktop computers. You can see the BIOS I saved here: Re: 80486 BIOS image collection

edit: Also I added some info to another thread a while ago, about same board here: Re: Does anybody recognize this Socket 3 motherboard?

I had gotten this board off of ebay a year or two ago, so I don't remember if it came with a card or not. Though I just looked at the VGA card on there and it happens to be the same one in the picture with a chip that matches the BIOS version string! It has its own BIOS chip thought so I might read it real quick and see if the flash ends up being identical.

Reply 5 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Checked and the BIOS I have does not have an integrated Cirrus VGA BIOS in it. Curious what the BIOS String and date of yours is ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 9, by wackoreese

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-05-03, 03:37:

Checked and the BIOS I have does not have an integrated Cirrus VGA BIOS in it. Curious what the BIOS String and date of yours is ?

NUNISYS ELI6-II VERSION U569.BIN (08/27/1994)

according to the BIOS file

Reply 7 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wackoreese wrote on 2020-05-03, 21:34:
according to the BIOS file […]
Show full quote

Ahh mine is Version U573.BIN (03/14/1995)
download/file.php?id=80232&mode=view

Reply 8 of 9, by wackoreese

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-05-03, 21:46:
wackoreese wrote on 2020-05-03, 21:34:
according to the BIOS file […]
Show full quote

Ahh mine is Version U573.BIN (03/14/1995)
download/file.php?id=80232&mode=view

I tried to update my board to it however awdflash.exe absolutely refuses to flash it even with the /py switch. Flashing is also enabled in BIOS but all it tells me is some broken english about the "file's part number does not match your system".

Reply 9 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm maybe NISSI did not save it proper or your board is a different revision than mine. Between last ISA and first VLB slot has "Model: ELI6-II and DOC: 13230" silkscreened on the board. On top of the BIOS Award stick on mine it has an added sticker that says "EL 16-U555" and on the corner of the board near the cache is another white sticker with bar code with an E number and "486 ELI-6-II and B4609-A 06/'94" on it. My old eprom reader/programmer is dead so cannot do another direct read on the bios contents.

Added: because it is an OEM bios you may have to use a specific Awd flash version. Will check thru the FIC web archives to see if I can find any references.