VOGONS

First post, by BoomClank25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a Gateway 2000 P5-75 tower in my family's cross space, and being inspired by LGR's videos on PC hardware and software, I thought it would be a neat challenge to turn it into a decent gaming rig sporting Windows 95. The problem is that even with the research I've done, I'm still a newbie at building a PC rig and I don't completely know what I'm doing. I feel like I might be limited from my goals because of the specs and limitations of the motherboard and parts.

I did take some pictures of the tower's components, and I assume these are the specs from what I gathered. I haven't gotten past the boot screen since I couldn't find the keyboard/mouse with PS/2 inputs, so I can't check the BIOS at the moment.

Motherboard & Chipset: Intel Advanced/ZP - 430FX Triton w/Socket 5 (I checked a PDF of the ZP's manual and the part placements looked identical to the diagram)
CPU: Intel Pentium 75MHz
GPU: ATI Mach64 GX/210888GX
Current OS: Either Windows 3.1 or MS-DOS
RAM: 2x KMM5322104AU-6 9520 - Size Unknown
Sound Card: Creative Tech Vibra 16 CT2501-TDQ
Hard Drive: WD Caviar 31000 AT-IDE, 1083.8MB
CD Drive: Mitsumi CRMC-FX400B Quad Speed

What I wanted to turn it into was a computer that could run 2D/3D Win95 titles. I made a list of these and many others, with their minimum or recommended specs listed (info is from MobyGames or the box art scans of said games). Most of the games listed require a 486 or Pentium processor, 8-32MB of RAM, and some require driver support (DirectX/OpenGL/Glide) or parts like an SVGA card (256 colors) to run.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17tqPE … dit?usp=sharing

With that said, I found some parts that I wanted to use to build my ideal PC, but I'm unsure if these will work with the motherboard installed. I wanted to purchase these, but I'm open to better suggestions for cost and for my current setup. I was considering on getting an S3 Virge DX for 2D titles and possibly a Voodoo/Nvidia PCI for 3D ones, but the cost and compatibility worries me.
CPU: Intel Pentium 120 or 133 MHz
GPU: Matrox G450 PCI
RAM: 32MB RAM (2x 16MB or 4x 8MB 72-pin SIMM)
Hard Drive: SeaGate or WD 8-10GB IDE

If you guys need better pictures of my motherboard, then feel free to ask. I apologize for the wall of text, I just want to make sure that I'm doing this right. And to see if the Gateway computer can be upgraded 😀

Attachments

Reply 1 of 8, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

P75 is horribly slow. Win95 games go into 1998. Vibras are not great in general but that one has a genuine Yamaha OPL chip which is nice. The virge DX is the best DOS card you can get, combine it with a voodoo1 for early 3d experience. If can ugrade the cpu to a Pentium mmx you will be able to slow ot down for dos games, 486s to early Pentiums are the worst for wide compatibility with the dos-win98 era.

Reply 3 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Without looking at any online documentation and, based on what you stated, I strongly doubt that this motherboard (being a Socket 5) will support a standard Pentium MMX (P55C) CPU. The reason being is that a P55C CPU is a dual voltage CPU and, to my knowledge, there were no Socket 5 motherboards that supported dual voltage CPU's.

The fastest you can probably go with this motherboard is a P54C Pentium 120, which is the fastest CPU supported on Socket 5. I'm not sure whether the later P54CS CPU's (mainly released for Socket 7) will operate correctly in a Socket 5 motherboard (due to the extra pin of the Socket 7). Furthermore, your motherboard (or rather BIOS) might not support these "later" model P54CS CPU's. A Pentium 120 should, however, work.
What you can also look out for is one of the Pentium Overdrive CPU's. There were both the standard Pentium Overdrive & Pentium Overdrive MMX CPU's - the latter can operate in the earlier Pentium motherboards that did not support dual voltage CPU's.
Refer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_OverDri … Pentium_sockets

To experience early 3D gaming, you really need a later model (fast) Pentium CPU (i.e., 166 MHz or faster).
From a sound card perspective, see if you can track down an AWE64. Although the Vibra card you have does have a real OPL3 chip, most of the games you are targeting either supported General MIDI (which will sound better on an AWE64 and should have native support) or will just run off CD Audio as was the norm after Windows 95 became the standard gaming platform.

Reply 4 of 8, by BoomClank25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all for your responses so far. I really appreciate it 😀

I hope this isn't a silly question but is this case okay to change the motherboard to a better one? One that could support Socket 7, Slot 1, or Socket 370 boards? Any recommendations?

I'm changing the course for my upgrade plans; the current motherboard has too many limits for my goals, and I can't find many affordable listings for the Overdrive CPUs.

I'd be fine with a motherboard that at least runs Windows 95/98/98SE well, and supports a CPU between Pentium MMX and Pentium III. AGP support would be really helpful, but I can try and manage with PCI.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As your new to this hobby, Before spending any money I would keep what you already have, try out the games you want and see where you stand.
Don't get me wrong you definitely have upgrade options but going down a complete motherboard swap even before a test Windows install is putting the cart before the horse

Reply 6 of 8, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’d recommend against replacing the motherboard. These old OEM systems are getting rare. You’ve got a survivor there. Why not just make it the best version of what it can be with stock parts?

If you want a Pentium III era machine you can buy a whole OEM tower with all the parts you need a lot cheaper than trying to upgrade this one to those parts. Plus you won’t have to deal with the power supply not being compatible with the newer motherboard, a mismatched port pattern on the I/O shield on the rear, etc.

Try to get this one up and running first with a pS/2 keyboard and mouse. Try to get a a few games running and see how they play on it. Then decide how you’ll upgrade.

Getting old parts at cheaper prices takes some patience. Set up some saved searches on eBay and you’ll be notified when parts you want get listed. A Pentium MMX Overdrive 166 or 200, 32 MB of RAM, and a Virge DX would be a really cool upgrade path for this machine. A Pentium
100 can be found for less than $10 if you want an interim upgrade from the 75.

Reply 7 of 8, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 430FX Triton is a great chipset, also from the pictures it looks like your board comes with the faster pipeline burst cache. This is my preferred Pentium chipset for Dos games and configured right with enough memory works well with Win95 (get 32mb edo ram minimum).

Also before you think about upgrading, remember the P75 chip overclocked particularly well. I still have mine running on Asus first 430FX motherboard from early 1995, the P54TP4. It will overclock to 120mhz no problem, without a fan. It even works at 133mhz, and I ran it like that in 1995 but to be safe I added an undervolted (5v) fan on the heatsink.
Look at the motherboard manual for jumpers setting that change bus speed and multiplier. At default it will be /bus speed 50mhz/, multiplier 1.5x. Change the bus speed jumpers to 66mhz to start with and it should boot as a Pentium 100 mhz. Then you can try going higher .

Reply 8 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very much agree with Katmai500, this is a beautiful system, don't go chopping it up. Gateway used more-or-less standard parts, but things like the keyboard and mouse ports won't fit with a generic AT board, so you'd need to drill them out - or find another not-quite-standard board that does fit.

So what to do? This system is pretty compromised. Not only is a Pentium 75 slow, but this board doesn't have any L2 cache. This is a Pentium-in-name-only, a system designed purely with the goal of being able to ship a Pentium CPU at the lowest possible cost, regardless of performance. It would run Windows 95, but it wouldn't be a pleasant experience, and only the oldest Windows 95 software would run well on it. However the system has a lot of collector value for being pristine. And tbh, performance is far less relevant with old stuff - it may be bad for Windows 95, but that's only an issue if you are fixated on that exact point in time.

I'd suggest two alternatives:
1) forget Windows 95, see this as a DOS (+Win3.11 if wanted) machine. Its performance would be perfectly adequate for mid-1990s DOS games.
2) sell or swap this machine for a faster one. In retro-world older and slower is generally more valuable, so you would almost certainly be able to get a nice P3-era system matching your requirements in exchange for this.