VOGONS

First post, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I've just finished my "new" average-joe's 486 build, using the following components:

- ASUS VL/I-486SV2GX4
- Intel 486 DX2 66 MHz
- 16 MB FPM 72 Pin 80ns
- Jaton VL41C/V2 (S3 805) 1MB, Vesa Local Bus (VLB) (OEM SPEA V7 Mirage)
- AWE32 CT3670 /w 2x 1 MB 30 Pin SIMM
- Promise PDC20230C based VLB IDE/IO Controller
- 3C509B-C NIC
- Seagate ST31276A + some 800 MB WD HDD
- NEC CDR-1300 6x CD drive

I've installed Win95B, the AWE32 and the SPEA V7 Mirage drivers (from here: https://www.pc-schnulli.de/hardw/gkvlb/tr/spe … _mirage_w9x.rar) and still the mouse is kind of laggy (it got literally unusable when I installed MS IntelliPoint 3.2 Software, which I then uninstalled again). Resolution is 800x600, 256 Colors, so nothing too fancy, I guess.

I do remember that not enabling DMA mode for disks and cd drives made the mouse pointer laggy back in the day, however the IDE controller drivers don't give me that option and I wasn't able to find another driver for the IDE VLB card. Where there even VLB cards which supported DMA mode for IDE?

Is this kind of expected with a system like this? Mouse movement is not super-laggy but not super-smooth either. I'm using a "MS IntelliMouse 1.2A PS/2 Compatible" mouse through a KVM switch and a PS/2 to DB9 adapter. Other (faster) systems on that KVM switch have smooth mouse movement, cable length is the same for all systems on the KVM switch.

Apart from that, I really like the new build. Even managed to get the AWE32 completely working in "boot to dos" mode, incl. the IDE interface for the CD drive and AWE synthesis. Networking works fine after having some trouble with the plug and pray stuff and everything (besides the mouse movement) feels adequately fast and responsive.

All the best!

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not all the MS Intellimouse PS/2 were fully serial compatible. Those that were actually stated "Serial or PS/2 Compatible" or "Serial - Mouse Port" on the bottom label though most of the v1.1 seem to work just fine with a serial adapter. I have a few MS that are truly serial+ps/2 compatible and state it or included a serial-ps/2 adapter. Have you tried a real serial mouse with two serial-ps/2 adapters (one into the KVM and one out of the KVM) ?

Added: Are you sure you do not have a bit of a port conflict ? Be sure to use COM1 , 3F8, IRQ 4 for the mouse as nothing usually interferes with that UNLESS you choose IRQ4 on something else 😀

Attachments

• m1_1.jpg
    Filename
    m1_1.jpg
    File size
    57.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • m1_2.jpg
    Filename
    m1_2.jpg
    File size
    177.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • m2.jpg
    Filename
    m2.jpg
    File size
    168.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 6, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ball mice have an additional mechanical element to them, so i'd say they are inherently laggier than optical mice. if you are used to the latter, with USB and high polling rates on modern PCs, then i could see how one would make such observations... granted, the microsoft mice seem to be among the best of their kind.

with that board though you actually have the huge advantage of onboard PS/2, so if you can find one of those startech brackets (which are wired for asus out of the box i believe, but always best to check with a meter), you can hook up whatever optical PS/2 mouse straight to it.

personally i also always make sure to turn off mouse acceleration, DOS and win9x coming with this being on out of the box is one thing i am not nostalgic for in the slightest.

Reply 3 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
auron wrote on 2020-05-04, 03:22:

ball mice have an additional mechanical element to them, so i'd say they are inherently laggier than optical mice.

No, they are not. If you ever used an Amiga, you know how smooth and responsive a ball mouse can be.

Windows 95 doesn't give the mouse cursor any special priority. If the system lags, the mouse will, too. And a DX2-66 isn't the most powerful CPU to run Win95 on.

Reply 4 of 6, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-05-04, 02:35:

Not all the MS Intellimouse PS/2 were fully serial compatible. Those that were actually stated "Serial or PS/2 Compatible" or "Serial - Mouse Port" on the bottom label though most of the v1.1 seem to work just fine with a serial adapter. I have a few MS that are truly serial+ps/2 compatible and state it or included a serial-ps/2 adapter. Have you tried a real serial mouse with two serial-ps/2 adapters (one into the KVM and one out of the KVM) ?

Added: Are you sure you do not have a bit of a port conflict ? Be sure to use COM1 , 3F8, IRQ 4 for the mouse as nothing usually interferes with that UNLESS you choose IRQ4 on something else 😀

I didn't try the serial adapter idea yet, but I certainly will. My mouse doesn't explicitly say on the bottom that it is serial compatible. Thanks for that hint! Regarding conflicts: The device manager doesn't say so, I believe there is no conflict... But I'll have a look at what irq COM1 is using.

auron wrote on 2020-05-04, 03:22:

with that board though you actually have the huge advantage of onboard PS/2, so if you can find one of those startech brackets (which are wired for asus out of the box i believe, but always best to check with a meter), you can hook up whatever optical PS/2 mouse straight to it.

Thanks for the PS/2 hint, forgot about that and will look into getting a PS/2 port working on that machine!

derSammler wrote on 2020-05-04, 10:52:

Windows 95 doesn't give the mouse cursor any special priority. If the system lags, the mouse will, too. And a DX2-66 isn't the most powerful CPU to run Win95 on.

true, honestly I have hardly ever used a 486 DX2-66 with Win 95 back in the day so I have hardly any memories on how it "felt".
All in all, Windows 95 is quite fast and snappy on this box though, and it doesn't really seem to lag or hang, it is just the mouse which is feeling a bit sluggish.

I'll try the suggested things as soon as I have some free time and will report back.

Thanks so far!

Reply 5 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've a DX2/66 with a optical mouse via PS2 mouse and it's fine
Also have a DX4/133 with a serial mouse and its laggy both in Dos and Win95

It's a MS mouse like the one below so not the greatest but not cheap no name either.

http://gordogato.com/oscommerce/catalog/produ … products_id=566

I've put it down to partly the mouse isn't amazing, partly not been as sensitive as optical and partly serial limitation.
But it does the job and a 486 spends most time at a command prompt anyway

Reply 6 of 6, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes, my 2.0a ms serial mouse had that slight laggyness to it even on a pentium 3. playing with the com port settings in windows didn't change anything either.

to test the differences of ps/2 vs serial, one could change between those two interfaces on a mouse that supports both.