VOGONS

First post, by plx109

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Everyone,

I got a 'not working' Compaq 4/33 486DX33 from an estate sale. After a quick investigation I removed a failed 4Mb DIMM and the 240Mb hard disk. I have replaced the hard drive with a compact flash card and have got the system working fine on just 4Mb of RAM. However, the BIOS loses settings after power off. The CMOS battery is an external Rayovac 840 on the J5 connector velcroed to the chassis. A quick check with a voltmeter shows it's dead. I'm having trouble finding a replacement and have decided to try to use a 3xAAA battery holder in its place. Batteries however will be NiMH instead of NiCd. Does any one know whether Prolinea tries to charge the CMOS battery through the J5 connector? When probing J5 with a voltmeter I see less than 70mV.

Thanks for any help

Reply 1 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The original Rayovac 840 was used on many older computers as either the main or replacement to on board battery and is Alkaline not rechargeable. Most of the external battery packs were not rechargeable. You should use 3 regular Alkaline batteries, not any Nicad, Lithium, etc and it should work just fine. My Laser 486 has an ext battery (from factory) and it uses standard Alkalines. The onboard barrel batteries were rechargeable Nicad or (later) Lithiums and are the cause of many bad board due to leakage. Consider your self lucky yours had an ext. battery pack (like my Laser 486), if not it could be a corroded mess.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun