VOGONS

First post, by assasincz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

So there is this Creative 3D Blaster Banshee card which apparently is not working, at all, not a hitch.
Picture of the board is below.
From what I can see (apart from obviously missing heatsink, and slot bracket), I can see that there is no crystal oscillator at Y2 position and corresponding resistors C31+C32 (right btw the 3Dfx and SST chips), I don't know the revision variants of the CT6760 but from pictures I found, every card has the crystal in place.

So could that be the culprit?

Attachments

• ct6760.jpg
    Filename
    ct6760.jpg
    File size
    406.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 6, by kikipcs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don't quote me on that, but to my understanding, the oscillator (14.318 MHZ) generates PCI clocks. And since I can't seem to find any picture of a card without it, then it's most likely to be the culprit. I can also see that C31 and C32 are missing from the factory. See here: http://hw-museum.cz/vga/30/creative-3d-blaste … banshee-ct-6760

Also, it looks like on your card the C25 resistor is missing (2.2kohm, 20V i think?) so this little guy is definitely next in line.

kitten.may.cry wrote on 2020-05-06, 08:15:

The fact card is missing a bracket...

Do you intend to use it? Or just curiosity?

You can always buy/fabricate a new bracket, right?

Reply 3 of 6, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kikipcs wrote on 2020-05-06, 08:23:
Don't quote me on that, but to my understanding, the oscillator (14.318 MHZ) generates PCI clocks. And since I can't seem to fin […]
Show full quote

Don't quote me on that, but to my understanding, the oscillator (14.318 MHZ) generates PCI clocks. And since I can't seem to find any picture of a card without it, then it's most likely to be the culprit. I can also see that C31 and C32 are missing from the factory. See here: http://hw-museum.cz/vga/30/creative-3d-blaste … banshee-ct-6760

Also, it looks like on your card the C25 resistor is missing (2.2kohm, 20V i think?) so this little guy is definitely next in line.

kitten.may.cry wrote on 2020-05-06, 08:15:

The fact card is missing a bracket...

Do you intend to use it? Or just curiosity?

You can always buy/fabricate a new bracket, right?

It's more like...card looks like it came from a recycling center.
Missing components, no bracket...read it that way!

Reply 4 of 6, by assasincz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guys, when it comes to the bracket, I will fabricate one from a blank new one, and when it comes to heatsink, I have some to glue onto the GPU, but this I will of course do only if I get the card working.
The seller is a private person, I did not get it from a recycling center.
Well thanks for reviewing this for me, I will let you know what happens...

Reply 5 of 6, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Missing the I/O bracket and the Heatsink (both metal) would indicate that has been pulled from a recycling center at some point. However, we don't care about where you got the card from, as long as you can get it fixed the community would be happy that another Voodoo card got the love it deserves! 😀

BTW, I had two cards like that one and both had that oscillator installed. I always keep photos of cards I have or I've had, but unfortunately the resolution is not so great to make the markings on that oscillator. If you cannot find its exact value, I can ask a friend who has one if he can read that for me and let you know.

Reply 6 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks to me like the oscillator was not there from the factory:

Creative_3D_Blaster_Banshee_CT_6760_F.jpg
Filename
Creative_3D_Blaster_Banshee_CT_6760_F.jpg
File size
1.66 MiB
Views