VOGONS

First post, by tekopaa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I was looking to update my CPU, but when i got replacement 386DX40 CPU, it seems this motherboard doesn't support it. It only allows it to be 20 MHz or lower ? When I swap settings, 20 MHz is the maximum that I get.

It's a Chips&Tech board for sure, but ...

C&T 386-20/25 maybe, but jumper markings wont match? Can it take AMD 40 MHz with BIOS? Oscillator swap?

It has now Intel 25 MHz 386 and IDT coprocessor.

There aren't any markings on board to make sure what's the correct model.

14833804.t.jpg

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-05-09, 04:39. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the "1133" in the bios string makes this a Seritech board. C&T is the brand of the chipset, not the board itself. Can you make an overview picture of the board so we have an idea how many slots it has, where the CPU/chipset/memory/power connector is located etc? That way we maybe can visually match your board for jumper settings and explain why/why not you can upgrade the CPU/NPU.

Reply 2 of 2, by tekopaa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
evasive wrote on 2020-05-06, 19:59:

the "1133" in the bios string makes this a Seritech board. C&T is the brand of the chipset, not the board itself. Can you make an overview picture of the board so we have an idea how many slots it has, where the CPU/chipset/memory/power connector is located etc? That way we maybe can visually match your board for jumper settings and explain why/why not you can upgrade the CPU/NPU.

I can get over 25mhz with settings out of bios and reading about those chips its only 16-25mhz max so iam looking for better board here

http://www.bitsavers.org/components/chipsAndT … ipsets_1989.pdf sadly it was the first chipsest out ot 386 bios can adjust 7-25mhz

Its a stable machine and works great with EZ-Drive and CF card but Wolf plays little sluggis + Aladdin + Superfrog are too slow