VOGONS

First post, by mkontrov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a strange issue with a SB16 CT2230 and I'm wondering if it isn't hardware are this point. I haven't exhausted my software options but I'm curious to get info from people who know their stuff. The general problem is that I'm able to play CD Audio and MIDI just fine, but no digitized sound effects/wave/voice. I tried in several games, Windows 3.11 and the diagnose.exe program and I get nothing. When it attempts I can hear it open a channel like it's trying to play something but at most I get a few clicks or faint static. I've looked in sbset16.exe and all the volumes seem set high, and I've also tried maxing them out in games. Games I've tried are DOOM, WOLF3D and a Heretic demo.

Also, and I'm not sure if this is typical I get no sound out of the speaker out port on the back, only from the line out.

Autoexec.bat:
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\SB16SET /P /Q

Config.sys:
DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5
DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS
DEVICE=C:\SBCD\DRV\SLCD.SYS /B:230 /D:MSCD001 /V /K /M:P

Per another thread I've tried commenting out all these lines but for SET BLASTER in autoexec.bat, running DOOM setup and playing DOOM but it results in the same issue.

Next steps I can think of, also per another thread, would be to delete or rename all the existing SB data here and run SBBASIC.EXE though I'm having a bit of trouble getting a USB floppy I have to work on my modern machine. If it matters this is also running DOS 5.0 and I'm trying to wipe the drive clean and install 6.22.

For context this is a thrift find I got so everything on it is suspect.

Edit: I nuked everything but the basics needed to boot the computer in DOS in autoexec.bat/config.sys and I'm running into the same issue. I weirdly get a few sounds in Wolf3D but it's very inconsistent. I think it might be hardware at this point and I'm going to try to clean where the 3.5mm contacts.

Last edited by mkontrov on 2020-05-08, 21:23. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make sure all jumpers are set correctly.
I had such an issue with CT2230 which came to me without the CSP chip, but the APSD and IFSD jumpers were set to enable the non-existent chip.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 4 of 9, by mkontrov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aha2940 wrote on 2020-05-08, 21:21:

Not the exact same card, but the problem is about the same. I never got it fixed: SB16 problems

Oof yeah, that's what I was worried about. :\ What sucks is this is the controller card for the CD-ROM drive as well so I'd have to find a replacement with that capability or not use the optical drive. It's a Packard Bell and the only IDE port on the mobo is being occupied by the HDD. Of course, I suppose SD/Compact Flash readers and what not would make that irrelevant.

Reply 5 of 9, by mkontrov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2020-05-08, 21:33:

I had such an issue with CT2230 which came to me without the CSP chip, but the APSD and IFSD jumpers were set to enable the non-existent chip.

I set my jumpers to look like this (one was half on/half off) and issue persists.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TToAAOSwSKBeCP2x/s-l1600.jpg

Based on this document it looks like APSD and IFSD are disabled if the jumpers are on.

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-mult … R-16-MCD-A.html

Reply 6 of 9, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mkontrov wrote on 2020-05-08, 21:46:

Not the exact same card, but the problem is about the same. I never got it fixed: SB16 problems

Oof yeah, that's what I was worried about. :\ What sucks is this is the controller card for the CD-ROM drive as well so I'd have to find a replacement with that capability or not use the optical drive. It's a Packard Bell and the only IDE port on the mobo is being occupied by the HDD. Of course, I suppose SD/Compact Flash readers and what not would make that irrelevant.

Since you got a single IDE port on the motherboard, you should be able to connect the hard drive as master and the CDROM as a slave. It's not optimal, but it should work until you can get a new soundcard/IDE card.

Edit:

mkontrov wrote on 2020-05-08, 22:10:
I set my jumpers to look like this (one was half on/half off) and issue persists. […]
Show full quote

I set my jumpers to look like this (one was half on/half off) and issue persists.

Based on this document it looks like APSD and IFSD are disabled if the jumpers are on.

Thanks for this hint, putting the jumpers on APSD and IFSD did the trick for my SB16 and now it works.

Reply 7 of 9, by mkontrov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aha2940 wrote on 2020-05-09, 04:09:
Since you got a single IDE port on the motherboard, you should be able to connect the hard drive as master and the CDROM as a sl […]
Show full quote
mkontrov wrote on 2020-05-08, 21:46:

Since you got a single IDE port on the motherboard, you should be able to connect the hard drive as master and the CDROM as a slave. It's not optimal, but it should work until you can get a new soundcard/IDE card.

Edit:

mkontrov wrote on 2020-05-08, 22:10:
I set my jumpers to look like this (one was half on/half off) and issue persists. […]
Show full quote

Thanks for this hint, putting the jumpers on APSD and IFSD did the trick for my SB16 and now it works.

I got excited this would work for me but didn't. I think that given the fact that the speaker jack is totally dead might indicate something is just wrong with the card, though.

Reply 8 of 9, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think your card has two different issues: one is the fact that you get MIDI and CD audio from the line out jack, but no output at all (as far as I understand) from the speaker (headphone?) jack. That may be as simple as some solder on the card being cold, and can be fixed easily if so. Anyway, for most applications the line out jack is the one that should be used when connecting the card to speakers. The second issue is the lack of digitized sound, which sounds very similar to the one I had, but fixed with the jumpers. Would you mind posting a high resolution pic of your card here? just to see if somebody can spot a hardware problem that could explain your issue.

Regards.

Reply 9 of 9, by mkontrov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good idea. I uploaded the highest res I could do here:

https://i.imgur.com/i4PYwCX.jpg

You're correct about the issues. I don't really care about the speaker out, I just wonder if it would indicate any other hardware issues. I think every jumper is set correctly on the board.