VOGONS

First post, by Bimmy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys I'm new to VOGONS (though I've frequented the forums for a couple of years now in search of various drivers and other old hardware related things)

I was wondering if anyone has tried using mSATA to IDE adapters with older (pentium/p2/p3 era) hardware.

Most of the ones I've seen out there look "passive" with only a slot for the mSATA card and a 44pin IDE output port.

3s21YCJl.png

XlJPdN1l.png

Does that mean these run passive? Where do they get their power?
From what I've seen the SATA to IDE equivalents usually have an additional molex plug for power, the mSATA boards lack any kind of power from what I can tell.

Also, regarding compatibility would these be any better/worse than regular SATA to IDE adapters when used with old hardware?

cheers! 😀

Last edited by Bimmy on 2020-05-09, 05:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These are for laptops where 5V is supplied though the pins on the connector.

I have thought of using them in past but then these adaptors were too expensive for just an experiment, but they seem to have got much cheaper now.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 4, by Bimmy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nevermind! I think I've figured it out.

It seems regular IDE is 40 pin and these are for 2.5" 44pin laptop size, which provide 4 additional pins for power.

For use in desktops you'd need another adapter.

I guess I'm better off getting a regular SATA to IDE adapter to avoid having to use double adapters.

I guess I'll leave this up in case anyone ever runs into this haha.

Edit: Thanks for confirming Tiido 😀 wrote this as you had written your reply. Funny to see you here I think I had you on MSN/Skype back in the day 😁

Reply 3 of 4, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use a few of these in laptops. They actually work well for this purpose, and since I had plenty msata drives left over they where a cheap solution for old laptops! 😉

Reply 4 of 4, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Note that these adapters come in 3.3v and 5v variants, as some laptops provide 3.3v.

I was looking at a similar converter, but from M.2 SATA (not pcie) to 44-pin IDE. Getting an M.2 SATA SSD and converter would be cheaper then getting a 2.5" SATA SSD.

However I ended up going for an M.2 to normal SATA converter and then a SATA to IDE converter as that combination was cheaper and more useful for other possible future projects.