VOGONS

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello (Ati 9800 pro black screen.)
I have a plain no name "400w" power supply in a socket 754 3200+ Athlon 64 project.
- Ati 9600 pro 128/256mb works ok (no power connector)
- Ati HD 3650 512mb works ok (1 floppy power connector)
- But I have 2 pcs of Ati 9800 pro 128mb (1 molex power connector) and none works just black screen at start up.
+ Is black screen the symptom of non efficient power supply ?
+ It might also be that both 9800 pros are broken because I don't know history of them.

What power supply do you use with 9800 pro ?

Reply 1 of 4, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really wouldn't risk using some, generic, old PSU. Grab a decent branded one, Corsair do their Value Series VS models for a reasonable price.

Black screen with a 9800Pro usualy means it's dead. Try cleaning the edge connector though.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 2 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I second the use of a good quality PSU. This is something that noone should skimp on.
In Dutch there is this saying: Goedkoop is duurkoop, which roughly translates to "When you go too cheap in what you buy, you will end up having spend more money at the end of the road when you could have saved money if you had gone for the initially more expensive option".

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 4, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In German there is this saying: "Wer billig kauft, kauft zwei Mal."

= "If you buy cheap, you buy twice."

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 4 of 4, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote on 2020-05-14, 16:57:

Goedkoop is duurkoop, which roughly translates to "When you go too cheap in what you buy, you will end up having spend more money at the end of the road when you could have saved money if you had gone for the initially more expensive option".

I suspected it was a bit more succinct. Google says the translation is more like "A good bargain is a high price." The English expression is "Penny wise and pound foolish."

There was a famous commercial for oil filters in NA. "You can pay me now or pay me later." Spend $4 for a decent oil filter or $200 in repairs.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder