VOGONS

First post, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi i just built my Retro Gaming PC my replacement motherboard which has an ISA slot and my sound card has arrived and i built my PC. Everything was fine bios loaded up, then i upgraded the ram and it stopped powering on. Now when i plug the pc in, the cpu fan instantly turns on and off. I tested the motherboard outside the case in cardboard. 1gpu, 1cpu and 1 stick of ram and same issue. Checked for any messed up capacitors or anything else that looks blown and couldn’t find anything. Cleaned the motherboard with isopropyl alcohol and blew it with compressed air and nothing. I checked the ram slots and everything looks okay. Removed the CMOS battery and no fix. Did i miss anything?

Here is my OVERKILL! Socket 370 build
2 CPU’s Pentium 3.S Tualatin 1.4ghz
Epox EPD3VA
Around 1.5gb of ram 2 512’s and 1x 128 and 256mb
Geforce 4Ti 4600
Matrox Mellenium II
SoundBlaster AWE64
SoundBlaster Audigy
Floppy drive
2 dvd/cd drives
3 harddrives
5 fans
Chucked in some led’s i had laying around. Looks cool even though i can’t see it with the door on.
EVGA 450watt PSU 80Plus Bronze

Last edited by iVirtualZero on 2021-02-03, 17:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 14, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anything's possible. What I would do is bench test the power supply disconnect it from everything and jump start it using a jumper wire between the green wire and a black one in the atx connector. Then use a multi meter and check to make sure that it's putting out proper voltages.

Reply 4 of 14, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does sound more like a cap has (silently) failed but in the meantime-

-what ram were you using before the upgrade
-what spec / part nos are all the ram sticks
-although it shouldn't prevent booting, isn't there an issue of using all 4 memory slots downclocking to 100MHz instead of 133MHz
-if the battery came with the board, try a new one
-seen posts elsewhere of this board not liking TI4xxx series cards; try a different video card

Reply 5 of 14, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-05-14, 00:25:
Does sound more like a cap has (silently) failed but in the meantime- […]
Show full quote

Does sound more like a cap has (silently) failed but in the meantime-

-what ram were you using before the upgrade
-what spec / part nos are all the ram sticks
-although it shouldn't prevent booting, isn't there an issue of using all 4 memory slots downclocking to 100MHz instead of 133MHz
-if the battery came with the board, try a new one
-seen posts elsewhere of this board not liking TI4xxx series cards; try a different video card

I tested with just the matrox mellenium and 128mb of ram. And it still didn’t power up. They’re 100 to 133mhz.

Reply 7 of 14, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As always:

Remove all components except the CPU (yes, no RAM) and power on. Does it beep? If not, you have probably caused some serious damage. If it beeps, start adding a single RAM module. It should now give a different beep. Then add a VGA card and see if it posts.

Reply 12 of 14, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-05-15, 17:22:

Given the Mainboard in the OP has no native support for Tualatin CPUs could it be that an adaptor is causing issues?
Have you tried Coppermine CPUs?

I baught CPU’s from a South Korean seller which has the adaptor preinstalled never had any issues with it. And i managed to get my PC working with a monitor i found outside.

Reply 13 of 14, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
iVirtualZero wrote on 2020-05-15, 19:00:

And i managed to get my PC working with a monitor i found outside.

Happy to hear that. 😀 Maybe it was just a bad connection - I've had a PSU with one contact loose in the ATX connector. It would often push out when installing it to a board giving me similar issues.

Reply 14 of 14, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-05-16, 07:54:
iVirtualZero wrote on 2020-05-15, 19:00:

And i managed to get my PC working with a monitor i found outside.

Happy to hear that. 😀 Maybe it was just a bad connection - I've had a PSU with one contact loose in the ATX connector. It would often push out when installing it to a board giving me similar issues.

Yes glad it was the PSU and not the motherboard. I managed to get Windows 98SE installed but can’t seem to get XP installed. I keep getting NTLDR is missing error. Tried to install it multiple times with different ide cables and through different ports. But same issue.