VOGONS

First post, by TK1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have amounted quite a lot of old hardware over the years. Unfortunately I don't have the time or space to enjoy this collection and it's slowly rotting away in wardrobes. So I would like to give it away preferably to an active YouTuber who will hopefully make a video on the odd bit of it. This way everyone can get a little enjoyment out of it. So my question is can anyone point me in the direction of some UK based YouTubers I can look at there content and potentially approach to donate said collection. Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I had anything to donate in the UK I would 100% donate to RetroManCave : https://www.youtube.com/user/RetroManCave

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retro gaming : Compaq Armada E500
Portable : MacBook Air 2012
Hackingtosh : I5 6500 8GB DDR4 RX480 8GB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply 2 of 5, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it's PC compatibles you're talking about personally I would donate at least some to High Treason who used to be a VOGONS member too but got bullied out for being rather controversial. His videos are a bit unusual and his humor makes him appear as a bit of a dick but he often takes a deep dive into any subject and he's pretty knowledgeable about the stuff he covers. He's not afraid of having controversial opinions, in fact I think he sometimes embraces them just to not be mainstream, which sometimes becomes a bit annoying. Still it's good to have people that don't just repeat the same statements others make without ever checking their facts or trying stuff out for themselves. His channel is way underrated, that's why I would donate to him.

I haven't looked at RetroManCave for at least a year so this may be dated info. I used to like RetroManCave a lot in the beginning but it started to feel more and more like the same video over and over again (especially his trash to treasure series) and rather superficial information. It appeared to have become aimed at youtube mass appeal and I didn't like that so I stopped watching. No hate though, just not my cup of tea. The fast and steady growth of the channel plus the high production quality early on and early sponsorships also indicate a planned social media product aimed at pleasing the algorithm and generating revenue rather than a regular hobbyist that needs community support to put out content. I think he has quite a bit of funding and contacts so he'll be able to source components himself. Still for obscure game consoles or non-x86 systems IMHO he IS one of the most popular adresses in the UK.

Adrian Black also goes to the UK on business a lot and often takes stuff back with him. If it's not a game console (I don't think he does them a lot) but old stuff from the 8bit/16bit era (especially commodore stuff) maybe try and reach out to him. He does a lot of good videos and seems like an overall very nice guy.

I hope this opinion/info is of some value to you. 😀